Insys kickbacks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzygoer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What a disgrace..sounds like they are more f’ed up than their patients

Manhattan doctors allegedly took big bribes to push millions of dollars worth of 'highly addictive' opioid spray

NYC docs allegedly took big bribes to push 'potent' opioid spray

“Freedman, a certified pain management practitioner, collected more than $300,000 in phony fees from pharmaceutical company Insys Therapeutics, according to court papers.

In the last three months of 2014 alone, the 57-year-old Mount Kisco resident then wrote $1.1 million of prescriptions for the spray, authorities charged.

Schlifstein was so bombed at some of the events that he slurred his words, and co-defendant Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein smoked pot and snorted cocaine before or during his appearances, the 75-page indictment charged.”

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What a disgrace..sounds like they are more f’ed up than their patients

Manhattan doctors allegedly took big bribes to push millions of dollars worth of 'highly addictive' opioid spray

NYC docs allegedly took big bribes to push 'potent' opioid spray

“Freedman, a certified pain management practitioner, collected more than $300,000 in phony fees from pharmaceutical company Insys Therapeutics, according to court papers.

In the last three months of 2014 alone, the 57-year-old Mount Kisco resident then wrote $1.1 million of prescriptions for the spray, authorities charged.

Schlifstein was so bombed at some of the events that he slurred his words, and co-defendant Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein smoked pot and snorted cocaine before or during his appearances, the 75-page indictment charged.”

That's a lot of risk for 300k. I think in this day and age if you writing that much prescription for a specific opioid product you'll probably be on someone's radar

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhere else in the article, it mentioned they were getting 100k a year in "speaker fees". I know one of the guys actually, private pain. He was raking it in. Why on earth jeopardize your life over 100k/year when you're making >>> than that. Feel terrible for the guy. What a dumb decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhere else in the article, it mentioned they were getting 100k a year in "speaker fees". I know one of the guys actually, private pain. He was raking it in. Why on earth jeopardize your life over 100k/year when you're making >>> than that. Feel terrible for the guy. What a dumb decision.

He might have been raking it in because he was passing out fentanyl spray. That was a dumb decision. I bet his patients LOVED him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Now THAT's how you set the stage for a proper speaking engagement!

Feel terrible for the guy. What a dumb decision.

Just curious but why do you feel terrible for this person? He was acting like a low level drug dealer. He was giving out an addictive medication and promoting it when it wasn’t indicated. He was doing all this in the name of greed. This isn’t someone I would feel sort for, it’s people like him and Portnoy and the rest who have made pain medicine a terrible field.

Just curious but why do you feel terrible for this person? He was acting like a low level drug dealer. He was giving out an addictive medication and promoting it when it wasn’t indicated. He was doing all this in the name of greed. This isn’t someone I would feel sort for, it’s people like him and Portnoy and the rest who have made pain medicine a terrible field.
Because he's actually a pretty nice guy and was a friend of mine in residency. Like I said, he made a terrible decision. That doesn't make him a monster, and doesn't mean I can't have sympathy for his now f'd up life.

Great. All we need is more terrible PR for the public to see. Patients still make jokes about Michael Jackson and propofol...

Hmmm.....how does one get tons of procedures?
I knew him when he was in academics. I don't think this was going on while he was in academics, as there's much more oversight (though I guess it's possible). He was super busy when I knew him.

The Opioid that Made a Fortune for Its Maker — and for Its Prescribers

Interesting how doctors are targeted, groomed, wined and dined. And how some are dumb enough to fall for it.

I dealt with one of these docs on the periphery and he wasn’t dumb. He knew exactly what he was doing. When his practice was shuttered his patients went everywhere looking for prescriptions. I actually had to inform a drug rep that came to our office that the speaker she was promoting for another product was under investigation (the doc I mentioned above) and would likely lose his license in a few weeks. She immediately called her boss and that was that.

I dealt with one of these docs on the periphery and he wasn’t dumb. He knew exactly what he was doing. When his practice was shuttered his patients went everywhere looking for prescriptions. I actually had to inform a drug rep that came to our office that the speaker she was promoting for another product was under investigation (the doc I mentioned above) and would likely lose his license in a few weeks. She immediately called her boss and that was that.

Crazy Wild West stuff. Doctors are the prey.

From the article....

“She looked for people, she said, “that are just going through divorce, or doctors opening up a new clinic, doctors who are procedure-heavy. All those guys are money hungry.” If you float the idea of becoming a paid speaker “and there is a light in their eyes that goes off, you know that’s your guy,” she said. (These remarks, recorded by the rep on the other end of the line, emerged in a later investigation.)”

Last edited:

El presidente?