Integrated IR Back to DR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if someone could complete an integrated IR residency, decide they like reading moreso than procedures at some point in residency, & decide to instead focus more on reading during their career? Would they be able to apply to a fellowship in - for example - body imaging afterwards & then go on to practice DR?

EDIT: or join a PP group with a schedule that was like split between reading & procedures 50:50 or something like that

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t see why not. In fact you will be asset to practices as you can offer some light procedural skills

Reactions: 1 users
You can apply to radiology fellowships as an IR resident, or after completing an IR residency.
You would have to complete your 1+5 years of training to finish your IR residency before starting your fellowship unless you switched out of IR residency into an open DR residency spot, and then you could do the traditional 1+4 years of training before your fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe when you graduate from an integrated ir residency, youre certified in both DR and IR, so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to apply to a DR fellowship

Reactions: 1 users
Technically you are right you can practice DR based on the boarding and you can do DR fellowship after your 6 year integrated residency. Similar to doing mammography fellowship and being pigeonholed in Mammo. When you go the VIR route in a DR group even after doing further advanced imaging you may still be pigeonholed into anything that involved a needle in the hospital or DR group (paracentesis/ needle loc/arthrogram, lp, myelogram,sinogram, joint injections and aspirations etc) and continuing to do VIR call (emergency cases such as GI bleeders/ nephrostomy, vascular access). So, if you are not confident that IR is for you, you may want to consider doing DR and the option of ESIR.

Last edited: