Integrated IR Residency Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Blue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Been scowering the net for more stats on those who matched into IR integrated without much luck. Can anyone shed any insight? I understand it is very, very competitive... but would like to know what to aim for.

Also, do you think it would be better to take a research year during med school and apply integrated or go DR-->ESIR/Independent IR?
At this point, the number of integrated IR spots goes up each year which means relatively fewer independent IR spots by the time you would apply for those. Best to secure your IR spot early if you are 100% committed to IR.

As for stats, many places don't have hard cutoffs but obviously the higher the better. Step 1 averages for DR is around 240 and high 240s for step 2. You can expect IR to be similar or slightly higher. Taking time off to do dedicated IR research and attend and present at IR conferences while building connections within the community is huge. Join SIR and get involved now if you aren't already. Join your schools IR interest group, preferably in a leadership capacity (or start one of your school doesn't have one). Dedicated interest to the field is critical as my IR pds are aware that a lot of trainees who started out in DR ending up changing their minds about IR. To be ranked high, they need to know 2 things, 1) you are capable, 2) you are committed to the advancement of the specialty. Also consider away rotations when the time comes

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think about clinical grades? Mine have not been up to par so far. I am at a top 10 school that has changed its curriculum to have step 1 after 3rd year, and has shortened lengths of clerkships. I have received only 1 honors grades so far with many Pass, including in IM. My clinical evaluations are very good, the shelf exams have been the limiting factor.

How can I overcome poor clinical marks? Will improved performance in Sub Is reflect on me favorably?

Being at a top 10 school will compensate for some of that, but just keeping doing your best. Even if you aren't cutting the shelf scores for honors, letters, etc, doing consistently above average will keep you in a decent class percentile when the finale MSPE is done. Of course, also do your best on both step exams. I wouldn't rule yourself out by any means. I don't think IR has the "AOA or gtfo" mentality that some specialties like derm and plastics may have.