integrated plastics programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jockmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I study in an lcme accredited school in Puerto Rico. I would like to know if plastics programs view candidates from these schools as IMGs or if they are equally as competitive as other lcme accredited schools in the mainland?

Members don't see this ad.

No one has matched into integrated plastics from PR as of yet, but plenty of people match into surgery and then have gone on to do a plastics fellowship.

Your best chance is if you are at UPR, 240+ , a bit of research, and a couple of away rotations. You might be the first . Good Luck

Puerto Rican schools have an odd hybrid status-- yes, you're an LCME-certified medical school and your schools' own residency programs fill via the US Match. But at the same time, unfortunately, people still suspect there is a difference in quality.

Not to knock your school in any way-- but it's best to be up front about these things so you can address them head-on.

Just to correct the error. At least one medical student from Puerto Rico has matched into integrated plastics. He matched a few years ago at Rochester. I believe that he had significant research and had done many aways to obtain VIP letters; however, he did not take extra time to do research. I'm guessing he is not the norm; however, it is possible.