integrative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been curious about this field, apparently there is a full time integrative medicine fellowship near me that allows one to sit for the ABOIM, so one can be board certified in Integ Med, I did ask the fellowship director if this is only open to primary care or other specialities, I was told it was open to PMR docs, but I am not sure what benefit if any it would have for a PMR doc's career, any insight from anyone? the curriculum seems to include significant amount of nutrition, mind body medicine, mindfulness based stress reduction, the question is can one gain this expertise by going to conferences, workshops, self study on your own vs doing an actual fellowship.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I worked with a PCP who was boarded in integrative medicine- at least in her practice, it was largely used as a tool to reach out to patients who might otherwise be skeptical of "western medicine". Think a lot of "I've been using this herbal tea for my depression, I think it's working okay!" "Sure, might we consider adding an SSRI?" etc.

I don't think I'm qualified to comment on the utility or evidence base of many integrative medicine tenets, but I think it's useful if you want to appeal to a different set of patients who specifically seek out physicians who are cognizant of alternative/integrative medicine. Whether you want to appeal to that set of patients is up to you.

Sure, get your acupuncture certification (about 10-12k) and get good at OMT. You can buy a cupping kit very cheaply and learn to use it. Most integrative centers have a dietician.

you will be doing a lot of primary care in general integrative medicine. So knowing your endocrine and natural thyroid stuff would be important. Along with any OTC herb or supplement.

I have been curious about this field, apparently there is a full time integrative medicine fellowship near me that allows one to sit for the ABOIM, so one can be board certified in Integ Med, I did ask the fellowship director if this is only open to primary care or other specialities, I was told it was open to PMR docs, but I am not sure what benefit if any it would have for a PMR doc's career, any insight from anyone? the curriculum seems to include significant amount of nutrition, mind body medicine, mindfulness based stress reduction, the question is can one gain this expertise by going to conferences, workshops, self study on your own vs doing an actual fellowship.

Thanks
What Integrative Medicine fellowship are you talking about?