integrative medicine.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been on these boards for some time now and am currently an RT student and pre-pa, but my views on medicine have changed slightly. While on a rotation and talking to a patient, they were very concerned about their health not being "fixed", but just alleviated for the time being. Chronic back pain, headaches, and even menopause were conditions this lady discussed with me and how none of the doctors seemed to really help her. For those with knowledge in this area, does naturopathic medicine really work? I mean, I have zero knowledge in this area but im curious whether this form of treatment is valid or not. I love medicine and I have really enjoyed helping my patients thus far, but sometimes I see the hole in allopathic medicine that doesnt address the reason why pathology is happening in the first place. Do you guys have any experiences with ND's, and if so what all can they do? Ive read sites that say in some states ND's are prescribing medicine along with natural remedies and performing minor surgery? (washington and arizona) I thought this was odd.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about naturopathic either, but I can tell you that chiropractic helps a lot for back pain. The headache..you first would have to figure out where it comes from and if it is musculoskeletal then chiropractic helps too. Menopause...there are some over the counter natural remedies that she can try like promensil, black cohosh, estroven, etc.... most pharmacies have those.

Most of medicine, especially anything in the hospital is really just trying to minimize the effects disease. For most conditions, if it is not curable through surgery then you are treating the symptoms or averting the crisis to a large extent. Preventative health does exist in allopathic medicine, but what you are getting at is a patient who is proactive to seek regular medical care and who takes an active role in a healty lifestyle. All you have to do is look at obesity in the US to figure how well that is working.

Something that was told to me that I found quite surprising. About 65% of cancers have the potential to be cured. Of those something like 4 or 5 can be cured through medical treatment (chemo/radiation) the remaining number only early excision is curative.......