interest accrual with save plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabooya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in the SAVE plan for my student loans and have monthly payments are $0 until September 2024. My understanding is that interest should not accrue if I make my monthly payments, which happens to be $0. However, since October 2023, I noticed my loan balance slowly growing because of accruing interest. I made a payment of $1000 one month to see if that will stop the interest, but it didn't. I tried calling my loan servicer, but the wait time was over an hour. I sent them a message a few days ago, but haven't heard anything back from them yet. Any thoughts on if I should still be getting charged interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Understatement, but resumption of payments has been a disaster. Generally, loan servicers apply the interest credit after the close of the previous month. For example, you will be charged interest in Nov, but by the 2 or 3 week of Dec you will be credited for the SAVE 100% interest subsidy. I'm confident this will be corrected. I suggest more patience and continue to monitor your account online.

Reactions: 1 user