Interested in DENTAL SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eloracave

Reaction score
HI everyone!
I'm a student in Accounting, but I was considering switching my major to biological sciences because I want to enter a Dental school.
However, I'm confused about what I should do.
My questions are:
1. Do I need to change my major before entering a dental school or can I just take some extra classes to satisfie the required courses for the DAT?
2. If I only need some extra classes, what are they?
3. If I need to change my major, what major will prepare me better for the DAT?
Thank you in advance for the help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

HI everyone!
I'm a student in Accounting, but I was considering switching my major to biological sciences because I want to enter a Dental school.
However, I'm confused about what I should do.
My questions are:
1. Do I need to change my major before entering a dental school or can I just take some extra classes to satisfie the required courses for the DAT?
2. If I only need some extra classes, what are they?
3. If I need to change my major, what major will prepare me better for the DAT?
Thank you in advance for the help. :)

Welcome to the pre-dental life! A lot of these questions have been answered extensively in this forum already. Do a quick search to see the treasure trove of knowledge! But real quickly:
1) No. You can major in whatever you want as long as you fulfill the dental school's requirements. In fact, you can be a more interesting applicant if you didn't major in the standard bio.
2) Every school is different. Visit this ADEA website for more information
3) Your major will help you prepare for the DAT, but the standard "pre-dental pre-reqs" will. Organic chem, general chem, biology, math, etc. Also don't expect to ace the DAT just from those classes alone. Do lots of studying for the test itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No need to change majors, but you do need to complete prerequisite courses. The general courses almost all dental schools require are:
General Bio 1&2
General Chem 1&2
Organic Chem 1&2
Physics 1&2
Anatomy
Physiology

Don't forget that all these courses need to be taken with lab. It's a lot of courses, but on the bright side when you apply, your business major will help you stand out from the sea of applicants with biology majors!

Shadow a dentist before you start considering making drastic decisions. Its a nice job and a nice life but it aint for everyone. If you cant sell yourself, you cant sell dentistry.