Interested in Derm, Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyytrewq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had an interest in Derm from the start of medical school, but never let myself outwardly seriously consider it until I got my step 1 score back so as not to make myself vunerable.

Step 1:266
Preclinical Grades: All Honors First 2 years ( H/NH/P/F) system
3rd year grades : IP (I think I honored ENT)
Derm rotation- slated for february
AOA- hopefully ill get Junior AOA, at our school its based 80% grades (over the first 2 and a half years) and 20% E.Curriculars

During my m1-m2 summer I completed a research fellowship in the lab of the chair of dermatology at my university ( this came about by pure chance, I didnt know she was the chair until after I already committed)
From this I "got" a poster. It was bench research.

I dont really know what the next step is. The my main weakness as an applicant is in research. I was an non-science undergrad who worked as an accountant. Whenever I see the the stats for derm they seem to have a ton of publications, i feel like it takes 3 months of solid work + luck in order to even get 1 publication. If things go well I'll do a research rotation M4 year again in the same lab i worked with the past summer.
My issue with my labs research is it doesnt align with why I want to do derm. My interest/goal in life is in Carcinoma (specifically head and neck carcinoma's (skin or otherwise) and focusing on excision with cosmetic and functionally STRONG results. This is because while I was in medical school my father was diagnosed with such a cancer, and I have seen the hard life changing consequences that even a "succesful" ressection can have. I would like to devote my life to this work.

That said I need to strengthen my research, but the main opportunity is not in the specific area that interests me most. I am also very interested in the ENT route , but this is also a very competitive specialty where they value research heavily ( at least according to my home program).

I was just hoping to get some advice on what I should do over the course of 3rd year/ going forward
Questions:
What route to take in terms of research?
How important is Step 2? ( i put a great deal of effort into preparing for step 1, I am not the smartest person, but i try to work the hardest)
Location- what are the chances of landing a derm residency in California ( i am was born and raised in los angeles and would like to go back so I can take care of my parents as they age
Job Market- What is the actual job market for dermatologists like ( i grew up with 2 parents who were both scientists but somehow, unfortunately never had the steadiest jobs. as a result i have an innate fear of unemployment at every turn)

Apologies for the length/ "gunnerishness" of the post.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had an interest in Derm from the start of medical school, but never let myself outwardly seriously consider it until I got my step 1 score back so as not to make myself vunerable.

Step 1:266
Preclinical Grades: All Honors First 2 years ( H/NH/P/F) system
3rd year grades : IP (I think I honored ENT)
Derm rotation- slated for february
AOA- hopefully ill get Junior AOA, at our school its based 80% grades (over the first 2 and a half years) and 20% E.Curriculars

During my m1-m2 summer I completed a research fellowship in the lab of the chair of dermatology at my university ( this came about by pure chance, I didnt know she was the chair until after I already committed)
From this I "got" a poster. It was bench research.

I dont really know what the next step is. The my main weakness as an applicant is in research. I was an non-science undergrad who worked as an accountant. Whenever I see the the stats for derm they seem to have a ton of publications, i feel like it takes 3 months of solid work + luck in order to even get 1 publication. If things go well I'll do a research rotation M4 year again in the same lab i worked with the past summer.
My issue with my labs research is it doesnt align with why I want to do derm. My interest/goal in life is in Carcinoma (specifically head and neck carcinoma's (skin or otherwise) and focusing on excision with cosmetic and functionally STRONG results. This is because while I was in medical school my father was diagnosed with such a cancer, and I have seen the hard life changing consequences that even a "succesful" ressection can have. I would like to devote my life to this work.

That said I need to strengthen my research, but the main opportunity is not in the specific area that interests me most. I am also very interested in the ENT route , but this is also a very competitive specialty where they value research heavily ( at least according to my home program).

I was just hoping to get some advice on what I should do over the course of 3rd year/ going forward
Questions:
What route to take in terms of research?
How important is Step 2? ( i put a great deal of effort into preparing for step 1, I am not the smartest person, but i try to work the hardest)
Location- what are the chances of landing a derm residency in California ( i am was born and raised in los angeles and would like to go back so I can take care of my parents as they age
Job Market- What is the actual job market for dermatologists like ( i grew up with 2 parents who were both scientists but somehow, unfortunately never had the steadiest jobs. as a result i have an innate fear of unemployment at every turn)

Apologies for the length/ "gunnerishness" of the post.

1. Do the research you are interested in. My experience has been that basic science research carries more weight but it means nothing if you cannot intelligently and enthusiastically talk about your work at interviews
2. Step 2 is not as important as Step 1. That being said, 50 point drops are not looked at favorably. I would delay Step 2 for as long as your school will allow. I've heard more and more programs do require Step 2 so you have to balance that out.
3. Derm residency is hard enough to get into. I often urge people to apply to as many as you possibly can. Residency is only 3 years and you can return to California after training if necessary.
4. The job market for general dermatology is solid. If your goal is to do 100% Mohs in a saturated area like California, that may prove to be more difficult

Reactions: 1 user
I would add if you're going to do bench research, make sure you get something out of it like a publication. It's utterly useless if you don't and just having the "experience" doesn't mean anything. If productivity is a concern, do clinical research.