Interested in Derm, but no Home program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedWingsFan05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M2 student, and this year after having our Derm block, I've started to become seriously interested in derm. On top of derm being very competitive though, we do not have a derm program here at our school/hospital. After talking to many current derm applicants, if this is a route I pursue, it seems that taking a year off to do derm research would be very beneficial for me, especially to get derm research on my CV and build faculty and program connections.

I have tried to get involved in derm research at a nearby institution and have reached out to our pathology and allergy/immunology departments to see if there are projects I could work on. But I know that I'll be disadvantaged not having a home program who can really get to know me and recommend me as an applicant and who would go to bat for me come interview time. From scouring old posts here on SDN, a lot of people have recommended just focusing on Step 1 and preclinical studying for now, and then focusing on derm. But talking to past and current derm applicants has kind of scared me, as applicants with very strong resumes (250-260+ Step 1, AOA, multiple pubs, etc) talk about only getting a handful of interviews and knowing other strong students not matching.

So can any members here comment on what I should do now or in the future to make myself a good applicant?
How much does not having a home program hurt me? What can I do to alleviate that?
Is matching into derm feasible for a candidate without a home program?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M2 student, and this year after having our Derm block, I've started to become seriously interested in derm. On top of derm being very competitive though, we do not have a derm program here at our school/hospital. After talking to many current derm applicants, if this is a route I pursue, it seems that taking a year off to do derm research would be very beneficial for me, especially to get derm research on my CV and build faculty and program connections.

I have tried to get involved in derm research at a nearby institution and have reached out to our pathology and allergy/immunology departments to see if there are projects I could work on. But I know that I'll be disadvantaged not having a home program who can really get to know me and recommend me as an applicant and who would go to bat for me come interview time. From scouring old posts here on SDN, a lot of people have recommended just focusing on Step 1 and preclinical studying for now, and then focusing on derm. But talking to past and current derm applicants has kind of scared me, as applicants with very strong resumes (250-260+ Step 1, AOA, multiple pubs, etc) talk about only getting a handful of interviews and knowing other strong students not matching.

So can any members here comment on what I should do now or in the future to make myself a good applicant?
How much does not having a home program hurt me? What can I do to alleviate that?

Thanks for the help.

As an MS2, you already hit the nail on the head. Outstanding grades and aim for a Step 1 score > 240. If you can fit in some research, even better. Not having a home program hurts but isn't a death blow. Doing as many away rotations as you can will get your name out there. And if necessary, taking a year off is also helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
You're not the first to go into derm from a school without a home program. Talk to your upperclassmen. I would guess that getting LORs would be one of the bigger challenges. I got all mine from my home program with people I worked with for years, so be very strategic about how you get those. Taking a year off will certainly help that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the help.
I also came from a school with no home Derm program and it was challenging but not impossible! I had to reach out to local dermatologists (a good number of them!) for case reports, attended 2 outstanding away rotations and knew I had to shine in each one of them to receive exemplary letters of recommendation. My Step 1 was in the mid 240's and I honored all of my 3rd year clerkships. I wound up applying to every Derm program, received 11 interviews and attended 10. I was voted into senior AOA and I am sure that helped. Be as well rounded as you can be. Start a Derm group at your school and volunteer if you can. If I can be of any help feel free to message me. It is possible...try to avoid the major gunners...they can be intimidating. Believe in yourself, work really hard and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Developing strong relationships with key dermatology faculty looks to be one of your biggest challenges since you don't have a home derm program. I would consider the following:

*Reaching out to upperclassmen in your school who are applying to derm to see how they developed relationships with faculty
*Reaching out to graduates of your school who are attending physicians or residents to see how they did it. They can also link you with mentors.
*Researching the dermatologists in your community to see if there are some with academic interests. I know dermatologists in private practice with an academic bent who continue to publish and present. You could really benefit from working with such people.
*Contacting dermatology faculty at other institutions with residency programs. You'll find people who are sympathetic to your situation if you're persistent.
*Attending local, regional, and national dermatology meetings where you can meet derm faculty in person, and network.

Some people in your position would wait until late third year or early fourth year to develop relationships through away or audition electives. But I think it's important to develop these relationships sooner rather than later. You can definitely do it. Good luck.

P.S. I am assuming you're a Red Wings fan. I am too.

Reactions: 1 users