Interested in Plastic Surgery .... but no research

Started by abmd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

abmd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in plastic surgery but I have no research. I tried to do some this year (currently and M2) but it fell through. Do I have any chance of all applying ... granted I know I haven't taken Step 1 or done my clinicals but any suggestions for now? thanks!
 
Plenty of time to still pick up on a research project. I suggest you wait till you take step 1. Regardless of what you do, a great score will go far on your application.
 
Plenty of time to still pick up on a research project. I suggest you wait till you take step 1. Regardless of what you do, a great score will go far on your application.
agreed. at this point focus on Step 1, do as well as you can, and upon completion start re-inquiring about plastics research projects. if fortunate enough to get manuscripts in, try to do so by July of your 3rd yr (right before 4th yr subIs). complete projects ASAP and at the least continually update your resident/attending/PI w/ progress so they know you aren't sleeping on the job.

any abstract/manuscript you submit to journals is fair game to mention on ERAS, whether or not ultimately successful. keep in mind that program interviewers can ask you about any and all research mentioned in your residency application!