Interested in pmr but clueless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bonedrone14

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a rising fourth year and hate to be the guy to make this thread, but due to work schedules I literally have no time for shadowing. I know it's getting late in the game, but I'm having some real trouble nailing down what I want to finally do. I'm really just trying to evaluate everything to make sure I don't miss out on something I may really enjoy. Could anyone kind of walk me through an actual days work as a physiatrist? I know from reading that the focus is regaining function, but what are you physically doing all day?

Thanks in advance!
 
We play golf...


Ok, not really--I don't even golf. But if you're at all interested/serious about PM&R (I assume you've already read about what the field entails) then you really need to shadow/do a rotation. Just ask your attending if you can spend a half-day shadowing--if you're on an elective (or even some core rotations) I doubt it'd be a problem. Just be honest and upfront--most attendings understand how little time you actually have to explore/decide on a specialty, so they may be more accommodating than you think. To a limit of course.
 
I have been in practice since 2002.

Su: off

M: 8-11, clinic

T: interventional spine for 2-3 hours.

W: 730-230 clinic, no break

R: 7-11 interventional spine, 11-1 EMG/NCS

F: 730-230 clinic

Sa: off

No call. Clinic days frantic, 50 to 60 visits. I have a lot of extenders, so tiring, but doable.

I really like my job. But it took me years to get me where I wanted it, and since I am one of two PMR in my group, and the other PMR has a very different focus, took me 10 years to get there with no guidance.

PM me if you want.