interested in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kansan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For All of You Current Psych Residents out there:

How would you advise a 4th year student in the choosing of elective rotations and clerkships if he were interested in psych? I've heard that doing any more than one or two in psych is a bad idea. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year also planning to do a pysch residency and I have also heard that it is better not to do more than a couple of psych electives. I don't know what the reasoning is behind this, as I had hoped to do an elective at each of my top rated schools for residency. I would be interested to know the reasoning behind not doing more than one or two also........:eek: :) anyone?

Advice form the APA: There is no single formula for choosing fourth-year electives. The selection of electives requires careful and individualized planning. Most advisors do agree, though, that you should use these electives to round out your general medical education. It is also, in general, considered unwise to select more than one or two fourth-year psychiatry electives, because they may duplicate experiences you will have during your residency.

Many specialities like students to do many electives in areas they won't be seeing much in residency, rather than just learning what will be repeated there. It's a great time to learn about things like derm, anesthesiology, radiology, cards, so you'll have some background in residency.