interested in psychiatry...jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reality07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi =)

I'm in high school, and I'm very interested in psychiatry. I'm taking college psychology classes this summer, etc, and doing whatever I can to expose myself to the subject.
I want to get a job involving psychiatry or psychology. There is a psych. hosptial here in my area and dozens of psychologists. My question is, How open would they be to considering me for a job position? I know I would be doing secretarial work or something simple like that, but that's fine with me. I would also happily do just volunteer work; money isn't the reason I want to do this.
I know this may be a silly question and the wrong place to ask, but I just wanted some opinions. =) Thanks!
-Lauren

Members don't see this ad.

reality07 said:
Hi =)

I'm in high school, and I'm very interested in psychiatry. I'm taking college psychology classes this summer, etc, and doing whatever I can to expose myself to the subject.
I want to get a job involving psychiatry or psychology. There is a psych. hosptial here in my area and dozens of psychologists. My question is, How open would they be to considering me for a job position? I know I would be doing secretarial work or something simple like that, but that's fine with me. I would also happily do just volunteer work; money isn't the reason I want to do this.
I know this may be a silly question and the wrong place to ask, but I just wanted some opinions. =) Thanks!
-Lauren

I think it's great that you want to get real world exposure to psych--and you may as well find a way to get paid for it as well!!

reality07 said:
Hi =)

-Lauren

I am a big proponent of working in the field some before going through with all the schooling. I worked as a receptionist in several doctors' offices before applying to medical school, and I learned a tremendous amount of real world information that helped me make a good decision. Plus, when I have my own practice someday I will know exactly what my front office staff is going through because I've been there. I'm sure that they would take a look at your application. If they don't have any positions, maybe there is some volunteer work that you could do. While you are there, ask lots of questions and get to know people. Good references are always nice to have.