Interested in Sport Medicine.

Nitro338

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Im very interested to major in sport medicine when I get to college. I have some information about this field,but I would like to know more. What are some career after you finish college? [I plan to get masters,or doctoral dagree] I would appreciate any information given. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

Im very interested to major in sport medicine when I get to college. I have some information about this field,but I would like to know more. What are some career after you finish college? [I plan to get masters,or doctoral dagree] I would appreciate any information given. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure how many colleges have a sports medicine degree, but most will have a kinesiology degree (study of human movement/athletics).

Most people interested in sports medicine are looking into becoming sports medicine docs. If you wish to become a sports medicine physician your first priority should be in getting into medical school. But once you are in med school, there are many different paths towards becoming a sports medicine doctor (e.g. family medicine, internal medicine, orthopedics, PM&R).

One other occupation you could look into is physical therapy.

Hello.

There are many different career paths for sports medicine, and there are schools that do offer "sports medicine" as a major. Pepperdine comes to mind (i shadowed an orthopedic surgeon who majored in sports medicine at pepperdine). University of La Verne also has a sports med/athletic training major. You dont need to become a physician to practice sports medicine, and you know sports medicine is what you wanna do, you might benefit from shadowing people that work in the different pathways. You could become an athletic trainer, you could go into physical therapy, and if you want to become a physician (MD/DO) you can get to sports medicine as a fellowship after a residency in specialties such as orthopedic surgery, family medicine, emergency medicine, pediatrics, PM&R, etc.

They are all very different pathways in terms of years of education and breadth of practice and they all have their own niche in sports medicine. You might wikipedia sports medicine to start, and look more into the differentn career paths. Good luck!