Interesting experience yesterday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished oral diagnosis on my patient's second appointment and brought him up to the cashier to pay for a radiograph we had taken and schedule him for his next appointment. He paid the cashier, accepted the change and tried to give me a 10 dollar tip! I was completely taken by surprise but thanked him and told him I couldn't accept his money. I have no idea if there is a school or professional policy on this or even what it would be but it I certainly didn't feel like I should be getting tips from patients.

Has anyone else had unexpected experiences like this with their patients?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I did get some gifts from people while I was a student. Like cookies,etc

I got lots of food and some gifts from patients while I was in school. But most of the female students did get offered cash tips from time to time. A couple of the guys got offered sex. True story.

I think patients feel bad that you don't get paid while you are in school.
And some of them want to get into your scrub pants.

My o my! So, how did they respond to that kind of offer? I hope they politely declined!

Student: "Errr, Mrs. A... your dentures look perfect. I think you can stop bringing me those aphrodisiacs!" ;-)