SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interesting fact from a DAT test question writer...

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Neuro178, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Neuro178

Neuro178 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Recently, my ochem professor was invited to write questions for the ochem section of the DAT.

Apparently, 1-3 newly written questions are usually put into the DAT, but those questions are not actually scored. The DAT people see how students do on these questions... If most people get the question wrong (it's written poorly, confusing, too challenging, etc.), then the question will be removed. If a good percentage of the people get it right, then it's kept.

Basically, my ochem prof told me, "If you see a really crazy or outlandish question on the DAT, you might not even be scored on it. So don't worry!
    This may explain why some people say "I thought I was failing such-and-such a section, but I still got a 22!" Maybe they weren't being scored on those questions.

Thought you all might like to know. I found that really interesting!!

P.S. He also said that one prof at the meeting asked what was the best way for students to fine tune their perceptual abilities. The answer? Organic chemistry! (Diastereomers, enantiomers, Newman projections, etc..)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Glycogen

Glycogen 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Very interesting!
    Thank you for sharing it with us.
  4. baedero1

baedero1 2+ Year Member

May 16, 2008
    thanks for good information...:)
  5. Neuro178

Neuro178 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2008
    It might ease some worries on test day... :) I know it will for me!
  6. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2008
    At the same time if you get those right and other ones that are counted wrong those incorrect answers are magnified which will make your score lower. It all depends on an individual basis if it will help or not.
  7. Bruinlove

Bruinlove 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Does that mean people who spend time on the questions and get them right won't get any advantage from their hard work and intelligence?
  8. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2005
    I dont think you have anything to worry about
  9. Bruinlove

Bruinlove 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm not relating this fact to my situation.

I just feel bad for those who actually solved these 'new questions.'
    What a shame that their hard work was for nothing. :rolleyes:
  10. harrygt

harrygt 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Thanks for sharing this. I hope the FRAP question is one of those:D. BTW, was not your professor responsible to keep these things confidential? lol.
  11. Dmitry Malayev

Dmitry Malayev 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Queens, New York
    This is interesting! But it seems to be slightly unfair if you ask me.
  12. Neuro178

Neuro178 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I don't really think that's something that needs to be kept confidential. He's an outstanding guy who has written q's for both the DAT and MCAT, and I doubt he'd violate any sort of confidentiality agreement. It's just the process of writing questions. He didn't say anything specifically about the questions themselves.