Interesting for the DO vs MD discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WALKE219

Not to start a huge thread over the age old topic or anything... but just a thought for everyone out there... I was reading all the DO vs. MD posts, and I found something quite interesting for those who don't believe the degrees hold the same... "value". It seems nearly all the comments center around the osteopathic schools having lower admissions criteria... Some people in the allopathic community, although probably naive believe this means less quality is produced by those schools. However, this is now trumped by the fact that nearly all, if not all (because I didn't check all) allopathic medical schools accept transfer students from any U.S osteopathic school. This seems to point to me that there is complete confidence in the training that one receives by an osteopathic school. At least by the administration of allopathic schools. I believe this is a nice step in the right direction (finally). Hopefully it will silence some critics on here to!!!

Members don't see this ad.

By the way - I am in no way trying to condone changing schools simply because one wants an MD vs. a DO at all... Just thought it might help some premeds who were worried they were going to be thought of as poor docs because of the osteopathic school. Now you can be happy with it!!

By the way - I am in no way trying to condone changing schools simply because one wants an MD vs. a DO at all... Just thought it might help some premeds who were worried they were going to be thought of as poor docs because of the osteopathic school. Now you can be happy with it!!

It's amazing to me how much debates there are on this issue on this website...it really makes no sense to me. If one feels that osteopathic school does not offer adequate education, then simply don't go that route. I feel a little discouraged by the fact that so many osteopathic students feel that they need to defend their choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree - but it is the nature of the beast. I am perfectly happy going for my DO. I am happy to see overall though that there is a bit of switch in some policies. Now that patients are aware the DO is capable, it's time allopathic institutions do as well, and it is looking that way. This is all great.

I agree - but it is the nature of the beast. I am perfectly happy going for my DO. I am happy to see overall though that there is a bit of switch in some policies. Now that patients are aware the DO is capable, it's time allopathic institutions do as well, and it is looking that way. This is all great.

and what school will you be going to?

MSUCOM - I like everything about it. I also got into MD schools, this one just fit me best!