Interesting Neuro Exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChildNeuro

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has an interesting neuro-exam case to share, or special aspects of the neurologic exam that medical students may misinterpret or any clinical pearls. I have seen alot of nystagmus, hemiparesis, decreased sensation, but nothing very rare. Also, how long does it take a neurologic resident in a real-world situation to do the neurologic examination on say an inpatient? thanks!
 
I have seen some interesting things -- have a lady right now with anosognosia regarding a left homonymous hemianopia. As for how long the exam takes, it really depends on how much time I have. That's the honest answer. As long as 45 minutes. As short as 5. Patient cooperation, LOC, and some other things also play into it.
 
I have seen some interesting things -- have a lady right now with anosognosia regarding a left homonymous hemianopia. As for how long the exam takes, it really depends on how much time I have. That's the honest answer. As long as 45 minutes. As short as 5. Patient cooperation, LOC, and some other things also play into it.

I could see where when admiting a patient with a neurologic condition you would want to do the whole nine yards, or a patient new to a neurologist in private practice, and observe gait and do reflexes etc. . . for following patients in medicine I would just do a cranial nerve exam, EOMI, PERRL, visual fields, muscle strength and sensation, and just check to see if they are alert and oriented x 3, but even this seems to much for following a patient without major neurological problems on medicine, but it only takes me about 5-10minutes. It feels slightly unecessary doing the whole muscle strength test each day, but I don't mind being interested in neurology, I guess I am really just looking for altered mental status or a new stroke. The finding of anosognosia is interesting, I heard that if you do caloric otological testing, i.e. squirting cold water into the ears, this will temporarily relieve the disorder in some cases,