Interesting opto law

Started by ktmnate
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ktmnate

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings,

I have a question from a patient's perspective.

For years I've had the same prescription of eye glasses, and I see very well with them. Every year I go to get new glasses, I have to keep coming back because they are always too strong and make me feel dizzy/sick.

Today I received another attempt form them to get it right and they are still too strong. I asked the "frame fitter" if I could just have a pair of glasses made to a previous prescription that still works perfectly and she said this.

"It's illegal to do that, it's like giving yourself your own prescription of codeine".

Getting a pair of eye glasses that permit me to see clearly and comfortably without taxing my medical insurance with repeated "re-calls" hardly seems criminal. I was wondering if anyone can provide a logical reason for this to be illegal?
 
Greetings,

I have a question from a patient's perspective.

For years I've had the same prescription of eye glasses, and I see very well with them. Every year I go to get new glasses, I have to keep coming back because they are always too strong and make me feel dizzy/sick.

Today I received another attempt form them to get it right and they are still too strong. I asked the "frame fitter" if I could just have a pair of glasses made to a previous prescription that still works perfectly and she said this.

"It's illegal to do that, it's like giving yourself your own prescription of codeine".

Getting a pair of eye glasses that permit me to see clearly and comfortably without taxing my medical insurance with repeated "re-calls" hardly seems criminal. I was wondering if anyone can provide a logical reason for this to be illegal?

To say that it's like giving yourself your own codeine prescription is a little bit melodramatic. However, it is technically not legal for a dispenser to fill an Rx for anything other than what is written.

That being said, a simple call to your doctor saying that the new glasses aren't working out and you would prefer to go back to the old ones should be a simple request. Any doctor in the universe (at least that I know of) would agree to write that out for you providing your vision was adequate with the original Rx.