Interesting post on dental fm - check out pharmacy part

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blotterspotter said:

To stir things up:

I consider a Canadian pharmacist with a PharmD more specialized than an American PharmD.

Here's my reasoning:
Minimum 5 years B.Sc. Pharm (equivalent coursework to your PharmD, except you have more rotations)
Minimum 2 year PharmD, in which you do another year of further indepth courses + another year of rotations. Generally the PharmD's tend to specialize in a certain area of patient care (ie pediatrics) as there are electives which are meant to be focused on a certain area. Some also follow this up with a residency.
 
Requiem, that's how the curriculum used to be set up in the U.S. prior to the ACPE deciding it was only going to accredit Pharm.D. programs. As a result, I don’t see much difference…think what you will.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a really funny story (well...we thought so at the time...) of my husband's graduation from dental school when he received his Masters in Dental Science & his DDS - I'll post it in that thread.

As for our education here - I'm not sure about the Canadian pharmacy education. But, I have heard they are equivalent.

Since I received my Pharm.D in 1977 - I can definitely speak to how the curriculums were set up then. The difference was not so much in the number of years, because by the early 80's UOP was awarding Pharm.D's after 3 years (no summers off), rather the difference was in the content of the curriculum. The Pharm.D curriculum integrated therapeutics with the traditional pharmacy curriculum & added clinical rotations. Although we did not specialize at that time, we did have elective rotations which allowed us to pursue areas of interest. The only residencies offered at that time were administrative & clinical (another year of what we had in school).

Schools now may actually allow a person to specialize during their clinical years, however, for most of the specialities (peds, onc, nutr, etc) you need to do a residency, I think.

Its hard to compare the education you have now with that I had....one evolved from the other...so they are similar, but different. (The take home lesson here - don't stop learning!!!!!)
 
Requiem said:
To stir things up:

I consider a Canadian pharmacist with a PharmD more specialized than an American PharmD.

Here's my reasoning:
Minimum 5 years B.Sc. Pharm (equivalent coursework to your PharmD, except you have more rotations)
Minimum 2 year PharmD, in which you do another year of further indepth courses + another year of rotations. Generally the PharmD's tend to specialize in a certain area of patient care (ie pediatrics) as there are electives which are meant to be focused on a certain area. Some also follow this up with a residency.

What? 2 years? Where do I sign up?
 
ButlerPharm.D. said:
Requiem, that's how the curriculum used to be set up in the U.S. prior to the ACPE deciding it was only going to accredit Pharm.D. programs. As a result, I don’t see much difference…think what you will.

Exactly. 👍
 
that is very interesting. I checked out University of Bradford's site, and I still have a hard time concluding what the UK equivalent of the US PharmD is. Clearly, they have a "Doctor of Pharmacy" too, but the subject matter offered in the "MSc in Clinical Pharmacy" sounds more aligned with the US PharmD, whereas their "Doctor of Pharmacy" sounds like a purely research-oriented degree to which we have no equivalent.


Here's their descriptors:

http://www.brad.ac.uk/university/pgpros/pharmacy.php
"MSc in Clinical Pharmacy":
This course provides a general understanding of the factors involved in the safe, effective and economic use of medicines for therapeutic purposes. It concentrates on aspects of importance for pharmacists undertaking clinical duties in hospitals, so that they are competent to analyse and critically evaluate drug therapies in order to recommend appropriate action for the therapeutic management of a patient.

"Doctor in Clinical Pharmacy":
The DPharm programme is among the first in Europe and offers a new professional doctorate pathway to hospital pharmacists. It is aimed at developing a range of research-based skills, focusing on improved delivery of clinical pharmacy services to the patient....

During Part 1 the candidate's portfolio of pharmacy practice is assessed for core competencies by practising and senior tutors. Written assignments are the focus for the assessment of the research-based modules. A reflective journal is provided at the end of Part 1 and examined in a viva-voce by an externally moderated assessment panel. At the end of Part 2, the doctoral thesis is examined exactly as for a PhD.