Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I poked around this forum for a bit and didn't find a question like the one I'm about to ask - if I missed it I'm sorry and feel free to delete this thread.
The background story:
I'm turning 26 in February. I'm still finishing the work from the last three classes I need to complete a BS in physics (I was enrolled in them and took incompletes last year) and am on course to have the degree awarded in May. I filled out the FAFSA for 2011-2012 and since I filed as an independent and don't make a lot in my current line of work, it looks as though I qualify for ~$12.5k/year in federal loans. However, I'd also qualify for a PELL grant (a large one??) but I indicated that I'm expecting to have a BS degree when I start school in the fall.
The question:
It seems to me that I could finish the work for only two of the three classes, taking an F in the third and remain three hours short of my BS. From here, I could return to school in the fall with the added support of a PELL grant. In my last semester at my new institution I could take the remaining class and transfer it back to my original institution and get both the BS in physics and the BS in chemistry that I intend to start.
Can anyone give me a reason not to do this?
Additional notes:
I currently have no debt of any kind - I took out a subsidized Stafford loan for $4500 in 2007 but paid it back in full in 2008.
Thanks a lot for reading this - I know it was long winded but it couldn't be helped.
The background story:
I'm turning 26 in February. I'm still finishing the work from the last three classes I need to complete a BS in physics (I was enrolled in them and took incompletes last year) and am on course to have the degree awarded in May. I filled out the FAFSA for 2011-2012 and since I filed as an independent and don't make a lot in my current line of work, it looks as though I qualify for ~$12.5k/year in federal loans. However, I'd also qualify for a PELL grant (a large one??) but I indicated that I'm expecting to have a BS degree when I start school in the fall.
The question:
It seems to me that I could finish the work for only two of the three classes, taking an F in the third and remain three hours short of my BS. From here, I could return to school in the fall with the added support of a PELL grant. In my last semester at my new institution I could take the remaining class and transfer it back to my original institution and get both the BS in physics and the BS in chemistry that I intend to start.
Can anyone give me a reason not to do this?
Additional notes:
I currently have no debt of any kind - I took out a subsidized Stafford loan for $4500 in 2007 but paid it back in full in 2008.
Thanks a lot for reading this - I know it was long winded but it couldn't be helped.
Last edited: