Interesting Topics for PPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainSpalding

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Since I am sure you have all struggled with the same thing before, I decided to ask for some advice. I am looking for some topics to put together presentations on. I don't want to do a Chapter from McGlamary or something that the attendings and residents have seen a thousand times. I would instead prefer to present something that they may benefit from and there is adequate material available to make a presentation upon. I figured since some of you guys are residents and attendings now, you could give me some ideas of things that have been presented to or by you that you have found quite educational.

Trying to keep the ball rolling,

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on where you are going, most programs want you to create the PPT during your clerkship. I would hate to see you put together a great PPT and never get to use it.

I guess I am wondering if any of you have any good ideas for topics? I have some spare time and would like to try and put a few together.

...I don't want to do a Chapter from McGlamary or something that the attendings and residents have seen a thousand times. I would instead prefer to present something that they may benefit from and there is adequate material available to make a presentation upon...
You can never go wrong with the current or classic literature. Nobody's read it all, so pick a paper with a good lit review yet some current stats or pearls to add. Summarize it for the audience (and cross reference with some textbooks or other literature). That will help everyone attending your lecture to gain knowledge.

The pretty well researched, yet current, stuff might be much safer and playing it smart as a student (axis Austin, Kalish, Scarf, Lapidus, PCDO, Evans). You could go with cutting edge topics (MiniTightRope, new MRSA antibiotics, Mosaicplasty/OATS, orthobiologics, bioengineered alternative tissues, Botox, etc), but you probably risk walking into a lion's den of pimp questions if the attending happens to use the product or procedure you present.

In the end, I'd just ask the residents for a PPT topic (or at least a broad area). That way, you will know it's a good choice, and they'll know you're not "recycling" a case or topic you've used for an assigned PPT before. I also agree with Feelgood that you shouldn't just make a PPT to make one; be sure you can use it in a presentation at some point in the near future (for class, clerkship, school club, etc).