Interesting Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it me or has there been a large amount of interests in OMFS in the Dental Forum in the last couple of months? It seems to me every other thread in this forum is a question about OMFS. Couple of points, back in the days when I joined SDN (2002), there were absolutely zero OMFS residents on here or at least posted anything. Secondly, OMFS was not talked about at all. One would post an OMFS question and it would be viewed hundreds of times, but no responses/replies.

Now, we have OMFS residents from all over the country answering questions, we know what internships and externships are, man, what a reference revolution we've got here on SDN!?

Look at me, saying every thread is about OMFS and here I am starting another one. When will this stop? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Andy,

I've wanted to say the same thing for a while now.

Back in 2002, when 'WE' started, there were very few posts about OMFS.

Unfortunately, because of my Howard Hughes fellowship, I'm now applying to OMFS one year after you.

Cheers :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Swift seems to be awesome at what he does and a good instructor (both attributes in the same person, go figure).

What has your experience been with him, Yah-E?

Nubbs :cool:

Dr. Swift is pretty cool and I learned a lot from him during my 3 week externship. He abviously knows his stuff and can be intimidating to many at times, especially during rounds when he pimps. Dr. Swift is currently the President of ABMOS which all OMFS graduates will face him during their OMFS oral boards.

Standford:

Howard Hughes, huh? Have you seen the Aviator yet? Is that the same Howard Hughes? Man, I was looking forward to meeting your @ss during our interviews around the country. With your CV and research experience, I have no doubts about you matching when and/or where ever you apply! You never know, I may not match in January 2006 and I may be in your applicant pool for 2007 (fingers crossed). Keep up the great work.

Yah-E said:
Dr. Swift is pretty cool and I learned a lot from him during my 3 week externship. He abviously knows his stuff and can be intimidating to many at times, especially during rounds when he pimps. Dr. Swift is currently the President of ABMOS which all OMFS graduates will face him during their OMFS oral boards.

QUOTE]

I did an externship at minnesota, good program I thought...although I also though it was the worst externship i ever did. They made me take out teeth the entire time to cover for the dental students who were on vacation at the time. Things might have changed since then, but it was not what i wanted, i wanted to go to the OR, over to hennepin county...etc...

But the residency is great i though, i ranked em high. I like the attendings, especially sandler and the residents were great, really nice people. Great scope of practice. A lot of estrogen in that program though.....good i guess if your single:>) Twin cities are "da bomb" also, fun town.

north2southOMFS said:
I did an externship at minnesota, good program I thought...although I also though it was the worst externship i ever did. They made me take out teeth the entire time to cover for the dental students who were on vacation at the time. Things might have changed since then, but it was not what i wanted, i wanted to go to the OR, over to hennepin county...etc...

But the residency is great i though, i ranked em high. I like the attendings, especially sandler and the residents were great, really nice people. Great scope of practice. A lot of estrogen in that program though.....good i guess if your single:>) Twin cities are "da bomb" also, fun town.

It's funny that you said that, you're absolutely right. MN OMFS externship is basically covering pre-doc OMFS patients at the dental school while the current MN dental students are on vacation. The externship have not changed at all. Since I've been there before (during my 1st and 2nd year spring breaks), I knew what was up. If you as the extern doesn't say anything, then you're stuck at the pre-doc clinic shucking teeth all day. I wanted to see the entire residency so I expressed what I wanted to see and do. Dr. Sandler is so cool that he said, this is my externship, I can see and experience whatever I want as long as I inform him.

So during my official 3 week externship, I simply followed the Chief around (went along with their schedule). Here's an outline of what I experienced at MN OMFS:

Monday:
- OR day @ Fairview/University Medical Center (Dr. Sandler staffing)
- Anesthesia Conference @ 9 AM (Dr. Basi)
- Dental Clinic (Fairview & HCMC)
Tuesday:
- Morning Rounds (conference) @ 6:30 AM (Chiefs present)
- Dr. Swift Dental Clinic all day
Wednesday:
- OR day @ Fairview/University Medical Center (Dr. Swift staffing)
- OR day @ HCMC
- Dental Clinic (Fairview)
Thursday:
- Grand Rounds @ Fairview/University Medical Center (6 AM)
- AM Dental Clinic (Fairview & HCMC)
- Core Lecture series @ dental school
Friday:
- OR day @ Fairview/University Medical Center (Dr. Swift & Sandler)

I was able to scrub in in many OR cases, often as a second assist to both Drs. Sandler and Swift. I shucked teeth both at HCMC and dental school's dental clinics. Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) is similar to Charity Hospital at LSUNO in the scope of practice, lots of trauma and shucking teeth, but not as busy of course. I also took calls and stayed at HCMC during OMFS trauma call week.

MN externship is really what you make of it. If you didn't know any better, then you'll probably would be stuck in the pre-doc OMFS clinic treating pre-doc patients. If you knew that you could see and do whatever you wanted as long as you asked, then your externship would've been more like other externships out there (OR cases, gone to the trauma county hospital, etc). The issue here is that MN OMFS externship is not based at a hospital like other OMFS externships out there (UTSW at Parkland and LSUNO at Charity) MN OMFS externship is based off the dental school's OMFS clinic.

Luckily for me, they were two MN dental students that were there covering the clinic because they wanted to shuck teeth. Since there were two MN dental students already there, no one bothered me to cover the pre-doc clinic. At MN dental school, 3rd year students don't even extract teeth, they only assist 4th years on their OMFS rotations. Often during vacation time, 3rd years will do the "externship" to gain experience in exodontia covering the pre-doc OMFS clinic.

My 3 weeks there were very productive, fun, and I previewed a lot about the program. I also met USC2003 and all the rest of the residents. Good times, good times......

It may be a trend on SDN but IMO it does not signify a trend in dental schools. I hypothesize that the main reason is because the people most likely to spend a lot of time posting on internet forums are also more likely to spend a lot of time on succeeding in school, seeking out higher ed (OMS) etc. No offense intended. I just know most people seeking general or other spec in my classes would consider mboards a waste of time. Sort of like why the med forums have like 4 millions posts for ridiculous reasons...cause they have nothing better to do.

flame away :thumbup:

Yah-E said:

In that case, I'll just be happy to take a meager 75-question exam from him on Thursday morning.

Ahh, the crapiness of being an Arizona student. We'll never see any exams from him other than THE exam that we'll take for the course. I have no idea what to study or how in depth to study.

DcS said:
I just know most people seeking general or other spec in my classes would consider mboards a waste of time.

I agree. Too many of my classmates have zero interest in what is happening in dental education or at other dental schools.