Interfolio/LOR confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

When I ask prof's to write me a letter, do I ask them to put my aaamc ID and the AACOMAS ID on the letter?

Or do I ask them to upload the letter on interfolio and give them the AAMC etc ID to put there. I am so confused about this whole interfolio process.

Please help

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

When I ask prof's to write me a letter, do I ask them to put my aaamc ID and the AACOMAS ID on the letter?

Or do I ask them to upload the letter on interfolio and give them the AAMC etc ID to put there. I am so confused about this whole interfolio process.

Please help

Thanks

Put your AAMC ID number on the letter as well, as well as on Interfolio. Plaster that thing everywhere... because that number is who you are to medical schools. They may have 15 John Smiths applying that year for all you know.

I think that I can offer you a bit of help. This year is my first time applying and using interfolio, but I have successfully uploaded all of my letters to interfolio and all have been received by AMCAS so I can at least speak for the MD route (although I imagine it is similar for AACOMAS). When you ask somebody to write you a letter of recommendation that will be uploaded to Interfolio, you have two options:
1) Send them an electronic letter request to their e-mail address through interfolio which gives them instructions on how to upload said letter to interfolio
2) Give them a hard copy letter request that can be printed off from interfolio that gives them the same instructions about how to upload their letter.

Once they have received the letter request, the only thing that you have to do is to wait and hope that they will finish your letter in a respectable timetable.

Once they have sent their LOR and it is received by interfolio, you should receive e-mail conformation that interfolio got it. At this point, you can send the letter off to AMCAS or AACOMAS. To do this, you will click on the document on the manage documents screen and select start delivery. From here you just follow the instructions of what to do. They will ask you where you want the letter to be sent at the top so just type in AMCAS or AACOMAS and the address should pop up. From here you will need to enter your AMCAS or AACOMAS ID #, and they will also ask for the letter ID # from AMCAS or AACOMAS. To get the letter # from AMCAS or AACOMAS you need to create a letter request in your primary application and each entry should have its own unique ID #. After this you should be set!

Let me know if you have any more questions, hopefully this helps! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify: it's not necessary to give your AMCAS ID to your letter writers. Otherwise, what jmkraemer15 is correct.

Do make sure that Letter writers have your AMCAS ID.

I've seen a couple school LOR guidelines specify that writers should include AMCAS ID, just to make absolutely certain letters end up on the right individual. When I saw that originally, that made me a bit nervous since all my letters were already written without my ID, but everything ended up fine.

The takeaway is that to make sure that the writers understand they should put your AMCAS ID somewhere. But, if they do forget about it, it should still work for the most part. Better safe than sorry.