Interfolio or AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCBarca1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in submitting an additional letter of recommendation during this application cycle. I know you can add an additional reference through AMCAS, which then gives you a letter request form to have the letter writer mail with the LOR to AMCAS. Is this less preferable than indirectly having the letter writer send the LOR to Interfolio first (after which the letter is then sent to AMCAS)?

Why do people choose to include the Interfolio step? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

They update through interfolio daily, so it's not slow by any means. I was rushing last year when trying to get an additional letter and interfolio sends it out by like 2pm every day and AMCAS downloads from them the very next morning. If you let the writer mail it to AMCAS, the delivery might take longer, so let them upload it to interfolio. Also, if you send it directly, it takes several days before they scan it and upload it to your file.

Hi,

I am interested in submitting an additional letter of recommendation during this application cycle. I know you can add an additional reference through AMCAS, which then gives you a letter request form to have the letter writer mail with the LOR to AMCAS. Is this less preferable than indirectly having the letter writer send the LOR to Interfolio first (after which the letter is then sent to AMCAS)?

Why do people choose to include the Interfolio step? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

The Interfolio step is primarily useful for gathering letters before the AMCAS application has been opened, and for saving letters should you find yourself having to reapply. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experiences its nice to have letters on interfolio in case you need them later for whatever reason you will still have access to them. And its pretty fast!