Interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfox926

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious why it's advantageous to use interfolio vs having LOR sent to AACOMAS? Is it more work for the physician sending in the letter? Do all schools participate with the interfolio system?
Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can have them check if the letter writers have the proper letter head and our signed, also if you do not get in the letters are saved but if you utilize AACOMAS only they would not be

Does every school have a different letter head requirement? I'm applying next cycle so I'm trying to iron out all my questions now

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely go with Interfolio. If you submit directly to AACOMAS, you cannot have access to those letters again and they are essentially locked in. Through Interfolio, you can save those letters forever and use them whenever you need to. It's also much easier for letter writers to upload to Interfolio because they literally click a button to upload it, whereas with AACOMAS they have to make an account with a password and a bunch of nonsense. Also, if for whatever reason one of your schools doesn't have one of your letters, you can easily send it directly to that school through Interfolio. You can't do that through AACOMAS, they're locked in. It's only $4 to send a letter anywhere. You can send each letter to AACOMAS so your schools still receive them with your application, but then you still have them in your Interfolio account for future use.

Also, make sure every letter is on official letterhead and PHYSICALLY signed by the letter writer. I found out the hard way how strict of a requirement that is for many schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! What is the official letter head? For example, one of my letters is from a chief of an emergency department. Would it be acceptable to be on a letterhead from the hospital?

Thank you!! What is the official letter head? For example, one of my letters is from a chief of an emergency department. Would it be acceptable to be on a letterhead from the hospital?

So for professors official letterhead would be their department's letter head for the university. For doctors, it can be on hospital letterhead or if they are in private practice they should have their own letterhead.

So for professors official letterhead would be their department's letter head for the university. For doctors, it can be on hospital letterhead or if they are in private practice they should have their own letterhead.

Thank you!! That's very helpful!! Can I make an interfolio profile/account now and have the letters from the docs sent in early or so I need to wait until next cycle?

Do all schools accept letters from interfolio?

Do all schools accept letters from interfolio?
Yes. HOWEVER, I have seen a couple schools that have stated this is the last year they are doing so.

NYIT-Arkansas comes to mind. I'm hoping when they say "last cycle," they mean 2017-2018.

You can have them check if the letter writers have the proper letter head and our signed, also if you do not get in the letters are saved but if you utilize AACOMAS only they would not be
Beat me to it.

NYIT-Arkansas comes to mind. I'm hoping when they say "last cycle," they mean 2017-2018.

Thanks! I guess I will have to research that further this year as I get all my stuff together for applying!

Thank you!! That's very helpful!! Can I make an interfolio profile/account now and have the letters from the docs sent in early or so I need to wait until next cycle?
You can definitely make the account and have them sent in early, but most schools like to have letters dated within 1 year of receiving them

Oh awesome! I already have one letter from last year, but I can easily get the doc to change the date when he sends it in. I shadowed him for 3 years off an on so we have a pretty good relationship I think. I will open an account in the Fall then so the letters will be good to go and I won't be crunched for time getting that taken care of.

I have a meeting with admissions at my #1 school the end of July. They want copies of my resume, transcripts, and personal statement emailed over to them! I'm super excited. I've been to their open house and I spent a lot of time talking with them after the open house was over. They told me to come down this summer because they wanted to see my stuff. I feel like they really like me!!! I can't believe I'm almost ready to apply next cycle. I felt like I was never going to be this far along in the process lol