Intern in MA pay rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I've read on this forum that interns get a pay raise every year simply for finishing another year in pharmacy school. Is that the case in MA? I would like to know so that I can get a sense of when I should register (should I start looking for an internship now? Or wait until I finished a semester of P1? Or wait until P2?).

Any help would be much appreciated.

I believe that's company-specific. I'm not from MA, but I work at Rite Aid in PA and I started out at 10.50 in P1 (I believe they pay around 12/hr to P1s now) and now as a P3 I make $16/hr and can get up to 400 hours per year not count toward the store budget (so, guaranteed hours). They raised salary for finishing every year of pharmacy school, so you can come in as a P3 and get the $16/hr. Salaries should be more in MA since the cost of living is more expensive there.

Nevertheless, you should register ASAP. There are more and more pharmacy students every year vying for jobs. It might take you a while to find a job, with this job market. Intern registration costs the same no matter what year you do it in, so you can register now and look for desirable jobs. You can always turn down jobs if you don't like them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds kinda awesome to me. So how does one get an internship in the first place? Do you just walk into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist, "Are you guys looking for a pharmacy intern?" And in which place would I get hired more easily if I don't know anything about pharmacy, in a retail setting or in a hospital? I'm a little scared lol

What are your career interests? If you want to work retail the rest of your life, work retail. If hospital, try to find a hospital job. Hospital usually starts out at a higher salary (like $14/hr), though the two may catch up by P4 or so. Hospital jobs seem incredibly hard to find nowadays, so if you can get one of those, keep it. A retail job would be easier to get, but still jobs aren't plentiful in any sector nowadays.

For retail, yeah you can just walk in a store and see if they're hiring, and then they'll give you an app to fill out. For hospital you can either look at pharmacy intern openings on the hosp's website and then following up with the director of pharmacy, or I guess you could contact the director of pharmacy initially (I usually took the responding to postings route, but I have no hospital job)
 
Sounds kinda awesome to me. So how does one get an internship in the first place? Do you just walk into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist, "Are you guys looking for a pharmacy intern?" And in which place would I get hired more easily if I don't know anything about pharmacy, in a retail setting or in a hospital? I'm a little scared lol

You probably know this, but don't sell yourself as someone who has no experience/doesn't know anything about pharmacy. You are a future pharmacist who is looking to gain valuable experience in your field. If you go to a chain you can apply online. If hospital is your preference I would suggest a little more foot work (re:Cold Calls!). I wouldn't say that either one is necessarily more likely than the other to hire a future pharmacist looking to gain invaluable experience in the field (see how much better that sounds?). In either case luck will play a roll in whether or not there are any openings for you.

Good Luck. 👍
 
silly question: should I look for a job first, or should I mail the form out to the board first?

Answer: depends on the state.
In PA, you have to have a preceptor (so you have to have a job) in order to apply for intern registration. In other states it may be different. Go on your board of pharmacy's site and find out.