Intern License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be going to LECOM-Erie this coming fall. In PA, when you are accepted as a professional student, you can get your intern license. I have to get 750 (self) intern hours in - they will allow intern hour transfers from other states. This is going to be hard while doing it in school because there are no breaks really. I think 4 weeks total a year.

750 intern hours is like 4.5 months full time.

However, I currently live in NY which is a whole new bag of worms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I need to be a P2 before I can get an intern license? Anyone, know of any exceptions?

Members don't see this ad.

There's definitely no way around the NYS intern laws...must have documented proof of finishing P1 year and be enrolled (and in good standing) in an accredited pharmacy school.

You might want to see if LECOM will allow an exception on their end, seems more likely than New York bending the rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just get a PA license (unless you really really want to work in NY after you graduate).
Find out what's the reciprocity policy for transferring your PA license into a NY one. Maybe it's not that bad and you can get a NY license that way soon after graduation.

Just get a PA license (unless you really really want to work in NY after you graduate).
Find out what's the reciprocity policy for transferring your PA license into a NY one. Maybe it's not that bad and you can get a NY license that way soon after graduation.

Chances are I will be moving back to NY after finishing my education in PA. ;)

As for transfering the license to NY, I asked my friend, whose mother worked in PA for a time as a pharmacist. I was told that I would need to work as a pharmacist for x hours, since NY actually requires a 1000 or so intern hours as oppose to 750 (250hours more). Also in order to practice in NY, I would need to take a compounding board or something like that (required in NY), or I can just practice for a year in PA before coming over to NY (only need to take something w/ NY law).

Everything I've heard about NY pharmacy laws makes it seem like a big pain in the ass for everyone involved.

In all reality though, you just need 750 hours by the time you graduate right? So enjoy your last totally free summer, get your PA intern license in the mean time, and work part time throughout the first couple years. I guarantee you will be able to scrap together 750 hours pretty easily over four years.

But forget about getting a NY intern license.

anyone knows any company in need of graduate pharm intern in orange county,la area

I'll be going to LECOM-Erie this coming fall. In PA, when you are accepted as a professional student, you can get your intern license. I have to get 750 (self) intern hours in - they will allow intern hour transfers from other states. This is going to be hard while doing it in school because there are no breaks really. I think 4 weeks total a year.

750 intern hours is like 4.5 months full time.

However, I currently live in NY which is a whole new bag of worms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I need to be a P2 before I can get an intern license? Anyone, know of any exceptions?

I have over 2000 hrs easily. You should be able to go to school and work around 10hrs a week. Almost everyone in my class does this.

My state gave me an intern license with an acceptance letter from a pharm school. Plus, we only need 500hrs. I never even worked in pharmacy before and had no clue what the drugs were. I did not even know each drug has a generic and brand name then. Gotta love being in the South!