-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Intern License
Started by pow
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So lets say you get accepted to pharmacy school (not your top choice) and apply for your intern license, then end up getting in to your top school choice and give up your seat at the school you used to get your intern license. Do you have to re-apply for your intern license going through the school you will end up attending?
You might want to check with the board of pharmacy (if the schools are in the same state). At my school, we do the paperwork for intern licenses after school has already started.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I know in Michigan at least, you can apply for your intern license as soon as you are accepted to pharmacy school. The potential schools would be in different states though.
You will get licensed in the state you are going to school in. Sorry if I misunderstood this statement.
Ah alright, so I wouldn't be able to get my intern license in my home state if attending an OOS school? What about working as an intern back home during the summer/breaks?
What an astute question! Yes, you can get an intern license at your home state, you will need to be licensed in both states. You absolutely need an intern license in the state you are attending school. You will also need a license in any state you work in (e.g., your home state). You will need to contact your home state's board for information about licensure (I bet their website will have most of the info you need). Also you will need to ask your school/adopted state's board about the hours you work in your home state "counting" toward your required hours (I think that is a concern for most states, right? We don't have this concern in FL. 😛).
Thanks for the info! I was really wondering how that all works. I'll have to get in touch with the BOP's then.
FL doesn't require intern hours?
Incorrect. The FL BOP does not track intern hours. The schools are required to provide all the necessary number of hours through IPPE's and APPE's. I think the number is something like 2080 hours. Who cares, though? It is required to be built into the programs so we as students do not have to concern ourselves about it. It's nice not having to bother with hour tracking and all that business.
It is in Colorado.Ah that's a great idea. I wonder why it's not like this in other states...?
I don't think it's so much a state thing as it is institutional, even. Your IPPE and APPE rotations are pretty much set up so that you get the hours needed without having to count hours and set up extra rotations, etc.
This whole set up has been established for a while, so they've got it pretty streamlined.
This whole set up has been established for a while, so they've got it pretty streamlined.
You NEED to get licensed in the state you go to school, and IF you go home during breaks you NEED to get license to work there too.
Also the hours thing... I know in Florida they set you up with all the hours you need to be licensed through the school... but in some other states you get set up with MOST of the hours through school and need to complete the rest on your own. This is good or bad depending on whether you can get a job and handle work, etc. I personally need to work a little during the school year, so this comes in handy when I do intern hours over break since I am getting paid and I can stay with the company that I prefer. The reason I say handle work during the school year is because it is a lot harder to ONLY work during the winter and summer breaks since more students start applying for positions, yet these times tend to be slower for businesses/pharmacies in general.
I'm not sure how Florida handles all the hours (if they pick the locations for you, how much control you have over locations, paid versus non-paid hours, etc)
I'm from Florida, but I go to school OOS so it doesn't really apply to me.
Also the hours thing... I know in Florida they set you up with all the hours you need to be licensed through the school... but in some other states you get set up with MOST of the hours through school and need to complete the rest on your own. This is good or bad depending on whether you can get a job and handle work, etc. I personally need to work a little during the school year, so this comes in handy when I do intern hours over break since I am getting paid and I can stay with the company that I prefer. The reason I say handle work during the school year is because it is a lot harder to ONLY work during the winter and summer breaks since more students start applying for positions, yet these times tend to be slower for businesses/pharmacies in general.
I'm not sure how Florida handles all the hours (if they pick the locations for you, how much control you have over locations, paid versus non-paid hours, etc)
I'm from Florida, but I go to school OOS so it doesn't really apply to me.
Ah that's a great idea. I wonder why it's not like this in other states...?
Because other states actually want to know that you know what you're doing. A lot of preceptors let the interns go home early and just sign off on the attendance sheet saying they were there for 8 hours.
Which is academic fraud and if discovered SHOULD lead to disciplinary action from the institution.Because other states actually want to know that you know what you're doing. A lot of preceptors let the interns go home early and just sign off on the attendance sheet saying they were there for 8 hours.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad