intern questions=]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sky2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all=] When do interns take the PRITE? Does the test happen at the same time every year? How should i go about preparing for it? Also what is better to start with during intern year- Medicine or Psych??
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I think the PRITE is usually in October.

Medicine vs. psychiatry vs. neurology first all have advantages and disadvantages. Some like medicine out of the way first, some like to "bond" with the psych dept. at the beginning, some like to start on neuro to get their feet wet without gettting killed (some neuro rots can be very tough, however. Be worried if you hear the words "stroke beeper.")

Don't sweat it too much. The intern year is thankfully over fast.

Hey all=] When do interns take the PRITE? Does the test happen at the same time every year? How should i go about preparing for it? Also what is better to start with during intern year- Medicine or Psych??
Thanx

I wanted to start with medicine first, but at my program they are only able to accommodate vacation requests when you are on a psych rotation -- and since my brother was getting married in the fall, I had to start with psych first.

Everything turned out fine. The first medicine rotation in January was traumatizing because you're even farther out from your medicine sub-I's and what not, but after a few weeks things start coming back to you. What makes it more difficult is knowing that the other medicine interns and prelims have got a few months of wards and possibly ICU time under their belts. But it all works out in the end.

Cheers
-AT.

Things may vary culturally per program-
But if I were you I'd just focus on Step III, get that out of the way, screw the PRITE until Step III is passed.

As a first year, half the questions, you won't even know what the heck they're asking for. If you focus too much on the PRITE--you got into USMLE III-PRITE overload.

After you finished Step III, then just focus on psychiatry.

That's what I SHOULD'VE done.