refreshingred

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I'm an intern in primary care and I'm looking to get into gas. I've gotten nowhere over the last six months trying to get a 2005 CA-1 position. I was told however, by several programs, that they are "looking to expand their program" and that I should "check back with them in April or May."

Well, with the scramble coming up, should I try and scramble for a spot for 2006 and (I guess) miss out on a possible 2005 spot?

OR, I wonder if I DID take a scramble spot for 2006 AND THEN found a CA-1 position for July 2005, then could I simply call up the program with the position for 2006 and explain, "sorry I found a position that works better for me and I just don't want to wait around a year for your program's slot."

Not sure what to do (and what I can get away with doing.)

CambieMD

cambiemd
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
refreshingred said:
I'm an intern in primary care and I'm looking to get into gas. I've gotten nowhere over the last six months trying to get a 2005 CA-1 position. I was told however, by several programs, that they are "looking to expand their program" and that I should "check back with them in April or May."

Well, with the scramble coming up, should I try and scramble for a spot for 2006 and (I guess) miss out on a possible 2005 spot?

OR, I wonder if I DID take a scramble spot for 2006 AND THEN found a CA-1 position for July 2005, then could I simply call up the program with the position for 2006 and explain, "sorry I found a position that works better for me and I just don't want to wait around a year for your program's slot."

A bird in the hand beats one in the bush. Try to scramble, it can't hurt you to do so. It doesn't sound like you have signed anything anywhere yet.
Just my two cents.

CambieMD

Heeed!

On target, On time!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Status
refreshingred said:

"Don't pass up a good deal to get a good deal." I vote for scramble.

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
Scramble, get a spot, and still call the other programs in April and May. If they offer you a spot, you then could take that offer.