Intern year for a 3 year school?

Started by pharm477
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm477

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a p2 student in a 3 year program. I was just wondering what year I would be classified as this year since my program is out of 3 years instead of 4. I heard the years went from P1, P3, and to P4 during the third year.

If this is true I would get more money in my paycheck 🙂
 
I'm a p2 student in a 3 year program. I was just wondering what year I would be classified as this year since my program is out of 3 years instead of 4. I heard the years went from P1, P3, and to P4 during the third year.

If this is true I would get more money in my paycheck 🙂

There is no dedicated "intern year" in pharmacy school - it's entirely dependent on what state you're seeking an intern permit in. Some states allow you to get a permit as soon as you matriculate, others require completion of the first professional year. Your school should be able to provide you with a definition of when, precisely, your definition as a student changes as it pertains to eligibility for an intern permit.

Once the legal definitions have been sorted out, then you can take it to your employer.
 
I got my intern license in MA as soon as I matriculated and got paid the P1 rate. I just started my second year out of the three and am being paid as a P2. My friend told me she is now being paid as a P3 so I was just curious how this typically worked for other 3 year programs.