GuP

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
For the many that have gone through intern year and survived, when do you think is the best time to schedule vacation blocks? Most places offer 2 two week blocks and was wondering what you guys think are the best times to grab these. Obviously, many will want the X-mas/New Year package but is there any other time that is generally desired. Thanks!

B

Blade28

We had three one-week blocks, and certain weeks (early July, Christmas/New Year's, and late June) were off-limits. During your first/second year, you also couldn't take vacation during certain rotations - ER, SICU, etc.

During my intern year I had a vacation in October, February and May.

About the Ads

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
We had three one-week blocks, and certain weeks (early July, Christmas/New Year's, and late June) were off-limits. During your first/second year, you also couldn't take vacation during certain rotations - ER, SICU, etc.

During my intern year I had a vacation in October, February and May.

My program was the same way and I scheduled my vacations like Blade did...almost always late September/October, February/early March and May.

anamarylee

A la grande le puse Cuca
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Treasure Coast, FL
anamarylee.livejournal.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My program assigned each of us a 15 day block throughout the year (I had mine in November, from the 16-30) and everyone has the last 15 days of June off. My hospital is too dependent on us interns to be without us for a whole month. It's chaotic enough when the IM R1-soon-to-be-R2 have to cover our beeper and calls for 15 days, no way they would allow us interns to have the whole month off to relocate.

In retrospect, the whole month of June off would've been better, since everyone who didn't have an advanced spot (11/12) matched, with 3 of us moving to the US from PR, having just 2 days to pack and less than a week to get all the relocation errands done (finding an apartment, setting up utilities, buying furniture, buying a car, pre-orientation errands at our programs, etc, etc, etc) is gonna be... challenging to say the least.

ekydrd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Louisville KY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Vacation??? What's that??? Oh, yeah. Now I vaguely remember. It's supposed to be time off that you use to actually do something fun and not medically related or catch up on sleep, right? :p We get a total of 4 weeks a year (including intern year), usually in one week blocks, but can take them as two week blocks as well under certain circumstances. We get a marginal amount of control over when they are scheduled, based on our rotation schedule (vacations occur during elective months). We also get 5 days off at either Christmas or New Years as well.

B

Blade28

Vacation??? What's that??? Oh, yeah. Now I vaguely remember. It's supposed to be time off that you use to actually do something fun and not medically related or catch up on sleep, right? :p We get a total of 4 weeks a year (including intern year), usually in one week blocks, but can take them as two week blocks as well under certain circumstances. We get a marginal amount of control over when they are scheduled, based on our rotation schedule (vacations occur during elective months). We also get 5 days off at either Christmas or New Years as well.

Hey! Wait, 4 weeks + 5 days off during the holidays? That's a lot! :(

We also don't get a say in when vacation weeks are scheduled...we put a request in (with 3 options per week) but in the end it all depends on the scheduling.

ekydrd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Louisville KY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey! Wait, 4 weeks + 5 days off during the holidays? That's a lot! :(

We also don't get a say in when vacation weeks are scheduled...we put a request in (with 3 options per week) but in the end it all depends on the scheduling.

Yes, and it's nice if you get lucky and have a vacation week in the first week of January coupled with New Years break, but that doesn't happen often (I got lucky this year though:p). We also have 4 personal days that can be taken for what ever reason... sick day, interview, wedding, etc. But, except for sick days, must be approved well in advance, and we have to find our own coverage if necessary, and cannot be taken with vacation, or at the same time (i.e. can only be used one day at a time).

We do have generous time off here which makes this a great program to be at.

D

deleted109597

We get 3 weeks, during pre-ordained rotations. For me, that means Sept, Apr, and June.
But then again, I also have the beauty of shift work, and not uncommon 4 day weekends (or weeks) during the year. At least, I will. Right now I have taken 4 vacation days, I did have 8 days off over New Years, and will cash the other 11 days in at the end of the year. Having vacation days and actually getting to use them is not something the surgical intern gets.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.