Internal Med -- Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewRawTick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the length of training, how vastly different is IM-Psych compared to Psych? And why would someone go for IM-Psych vs Psych?

If someone were to go into an IM-Psych, would it be possible to go for a Child Psych fellowship as well, or is that only via a Psych residency?

-N

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to consider one of the triple board programs available that offer combined training in adult psychiatry, child psychiatry and pediatrics with board elligibility in each specialty.

Programs that offer triple board training in Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (cut and paste from freida):

Hawaii

University of Hawaii Program
Honolulu, Hawaii 730-14-44-007
Indiana

Indiana University School of Medicine Program
Indianapolis, Indiana 730-17-44-009
Kentucky

University of Kentucky A B Chandler Medical Center Program
Lexington, Kentucky 730-20-44-001
Louisiana

Tulane University Program
New Orleans, Louisiana 730-21-44-012
Massachusetts

Tufts University Program
Boston, Massachusetts 730-24-44-002
New York

Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program
New York, New York 730-35-44-004
Ohio

University Hospital/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Program
Cincinnati, Ohio 730-38-44-008
Pennsylvania

University Health Center of Pittsburgh Program
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 730-41-44-011
Rhode Island

Brown University Program
Providence, Rhode Island 730-43-44-005
Utah

University of Utah Program
Salt Lake City, Utah 730-49-44-006

Members don't see this ad :)
NewRawTick said:
Besides the length of training, how vastly different is IM-Psych compared to Psych? And why would someone go for IM-Psych vs Psych?
-N

...because they're afraid that if they just do Psych, their friends won't think they're a "Real Doctor"? Seriously, I think that this lurks in many folks' thoughts when they choose this path. In reality, though, most people end up focusing on one or the other.

NewRawTick said:
If someone were to go into an IM-Psych, would it be possible to go for a Child Psych fellowship as well, or is that only via a Psych residency?
-N

You could, but as was said, the Peds/Psych/Child Psych tracks would make more sense if you had the appetite for this kind of masochism. But why would you want to be doing senior resident call months on Peds or IM?????? If you want to prolong your adolescence and put off getting a real job, you can just pile up one-year psych fellowships instead. Be boarded in Psych! In Child Psych! Gero! Addiction! Forensics!!! And now...Psychosomatics!!!!

Ah the combined programs, gotta love them. I actually applied at several Triple board programs and am familiar with Dukes IM-psych program (which I've been told is the best in the country). The consensus from the residents in those programs is that there is little integration of the fields. That said there is an argument if your interests lie at the fringe, the common example would be consultation psychiatry. Other examples might include psychooncology, immunopsychiatry, inpatient psychiatry in a medical-psychiatry unit (this is a unit that accepts psych patients with active medical issues), or even sleep. If your interest is in being well-rounded (which was where I fell) I'd suggest doing a preliminary year in peds or medicine and then entering as a second year resident into psych. There are numerous programs that have the PGY 2 option and two that I can think of off hand are Columbia and Stanford. You'll have to do some legwork and there are limited spots, but it's definitely worth looking.

Oh also, you should have no problem doing a child fellowship after an IM-psych residency. But there's no reason to do that as the IM would hardly apply as well as peds to the child fellowship... and, if I recall, IM psych with a child fellowship would add up to 7 years at the quickest as opposed to Triple board which is 5. Might as well add another year and be a neurosurgeon.... that is if you can afford the malpractice.