Internal Medicine Book Poll

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by keepsmiling10, Jan 5, 2009.

?

Which books are best for Medicine?

1. Case Files

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Step Up

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  3. Crush Step 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kochar's Clinical Medicine for Students

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. MKSAP 3

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. keepsmiling10

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Which books for Medicine are the best for the Shelf, the rotation and eventually that will also help for Step 2. I'm trying to include a poll but I'm still kind of new to this thing.

1. Case Files
    2. Step Up to Medicine
    3. Crush Step 2
    4. Kochar's Clinical Medicine for Students
    5. MKSAP for Students 3
    6. (You can also add another one if you highly highly recommend it).

Please tell me the BEST ones, as in which ones one can actually read within 2 months along with doing rotations and having somewhat of a life (ha, I know).

Thanks!!

(wait, how do I create the poll?)

2. BigRedBeta

BigRedBeta Why am I in a handbasket?
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IMO, for the shelf you need a question book and a reference text that focuses on the highlights. MKSAP is a great question source, and Step Up is one of the more complete texts. My only gripe with StepUp is that I don't like reading outlines...unfortunately BluePrints didn't go into enough depth though I like the format a lot.

For Step 2, Crush has the advantage of covering more than just internal medicine topics.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. drbetty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think in addition to the consensus on Step Up and Mksap, Step 2 Secrets is a great book to stick in your white coat for internal medicine, let alone all rotations, b/c it's a quick overview of everything. And you'll be a step ahead for CK studying as well.

#3 drbetty, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  4. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Definitely go with Step Up, IMO. Or, if you think you can't read that much in 2 months, you could try Case Files. I didn't use the IM book, but I loved the others that I have used. If you do go with Step Up, you can find our official SDN running list of errata and updates here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...