Internal Medicine Clinical Pearls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CityDweller

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you all could help me out!

I'm up for my first IM Sub-I of 4th year in one month at a program I may want to match into next year. What are some clinical pearls you've learned that I just HAVE to know, otherwise I'll look bad when they pimp me? anything to do with pt. management, ventilator settings, rounds, etc...

THANK YOU in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

probably the same clinical pearls you've learned in your 3rd year rotation.

my contribution is don't kill the patient. i say that everyday i step foot in a hospital..if i don't kill anyone it's a good day.

Be really good at managing diabetes and blood pressure. I'm in a medicine rotation, and it seems every patient I'm following is being seen by specialty services who are doing the work-up, etc, but we are just managing DM. The thing is, know that to do when the pt is NPO, when his PM sugars are high but AM are low, or vice versa, etc.

Know about different BP meds and different settings (kidney failure, CHF, etc.). Read up on the pts you were following.

Know how to manage a seizing pt, a code, etc (though you won't).

Know RANSON'S and CHILD'S class by heart! Someone has CHF, know what their ejection fraction was, pancreatitis, figure out Ranson's, cirrhosis, know Child's classification, renal failure.

Basically, know the red book!