Internal Medicine Residency Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone every heard anything about IM program at Bridgeport CT? I have a friend going for interview there and want to know more about it? work environment? How are attendings? How is the atmosphere? How is everything?

Members don't see this ad.

This gets brought up again and again and again on this board:
THERE ARE NO "Internal Medicine Residency Program Rankings".

There is no ranking system of residency programs. There are rankings of internal medicine DEPARTMENTS, and there are HOSPITAL rankings. This is going to have more to do with research funding/ patient:staff ratio at the hospital/ etc. This does not tell you anything about the quality of a residency program.

You want to go to the best internal medicine residency program for you?, here is what you should do:
-go to a program that has good job and fellowship placement- there is no "ranking" for this, you just have to do a little research
-go to a program that has a high pass rate on the ABIM
-go to a program where you feel comfortable and fit in with the atmosphere
-go to a program in a city where you will be happy living

PERIOD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Tum, thanks so much for your insightful reply. :cool:

I actually did read all of the previous responses. Did you not know that reinforcement is a key way of learning?? What a shame.

I am an FMG, i would like to know that does an FMG stand any chance of getting in top IM programs? especially with credentials like double 99, 1 month of US clincal experience (at UTSW)and a research published in an american journal Chest (research done in home country)? good proficiency is english language, is this going to be enough to earn him a residency at top internal medicine program. because I have interest in GI, but not many IMGs are able to get GI fellowships.

One more question, GI and cardiology are considered to be the toughest fellowships to get but i have seen many IMGs getting into cardiology but not in GI. has it got something to do with the trend of not taking IMGs for GI fellowships??

Last edited:
I am an FMG, i would like to know that does an FMG stand any chance of getting in top IM programs? especially with credentials like double 99, 1 month of US clincal experience (at UTSW)and a research published in an american journal Chest (research done in home country)? good proficiency is english language, is this going to be enough to earn him a residency at top internal medicine program. because I have interest in GI, but not many IMGs are able to get GI fellowships.

One more question, GI and cardiology are considered to be the toughest fellowships to get but i have seen many IMGs getting into cardiology but not in GI. has it got something to do with the trend of not taking IMGs for GI fellowships??

Interesting about the take on GI not being as open to IMGs as Cards. Is that true when taking into account the number of positions available for each specialty? I have to admit our Cards dept has a few IMGs but our GI dept has none and are a bit more elitist. I would just apply to whatever program you want. If you get rejected you get rejected, still worth a try though. Mayo is open to IMGs as it is part of their founding creed to recruit the best from the world. Great program too with great fellowships