internal medicine shelf

Started by futuremed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuremed

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
Can you please reccomend the best book for internal medicine shelf. Do you feel like a review book like IM blueprints is enough(plus questions of course), or do you think one would need something more comprehensive.
What do you know about Torronto notes?
Thanks in advance.
 
IM Blueprints is definitely not enough. I personally thought the combination of Step-Up to Medicine + MKSAP worked great. I am not familiar with Toronto Notes.
 
IM Blueprints is definitely not enough. I personally thought the combination of Step-Up to Medicine + MKSAP worked great. I am not familiar with Toronto Notes.

I did Step Up, MKSAP, some FA. I still did not score high enough to maintain my clinical outstanding though! Grrr. Sorry, just venting. But it should be enough to do well. I would agree IM blueprients is not sufficient probably since the Blueprint series tend to be less detailed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I used Pre-Test (Medicine and Physical Diagnosis), MKSAP, and something else...it was too long ago now. 🙂
 
Ah, THAT'S the book I used! The blue one! Great stuff. I used NMS for my text, Pre-Tests for questions, and MKSAP for further (tough) review.
 
thanks, sounds good.
That book has limited illustrations though, X-rays, pictures,etc...
 
True...I think I just focused more on understanding the numerous diseases via their nice outline format.

The illustrations I used were mainly EKGs from Pre-Test and relevant journal articles that were given to me by my residents, and IIRC, my shelf exam was heavy on the Cardiology topics.
 
mksap didn't help me answer a single question on the shelf. the answers to all my questions on the shelf were in step-up medicine. thats definitely the best resource for medicine.