Internal medicine - Uworld vs MKSAP and which book to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelewn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started a new semester at my university (In Europe not studying for boards or USMLE). I am curious about which question bank you would recommend? Uworld, MKSAP or IM essentials? Btw. are IM essentials and MKSAP the same?

Furthermore I've read a lot about people recommending studying from Step Up to Medicine but @Phloston and a few others have read Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review. At last some people have recommended Emma Holliday's power point slides. What do you guys recommend? What should I do? :) Thank a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just started a new semester at my university (In Europe not studying for boards or USMLE). I am curious about which question bank you would recommend? Uworld, MKSAP or IM essentials? Btw. are IM essentials and MKSAP the same?

Furthermore I've read a lot about people recommending studying from Step Up to Medicine but @Phloston and a few others have read Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review. At last some people have recommended Emma Holliday's power point slides. What do you guys recommend? What should I do? :) Thank a lot

JH IM Board Review was awesome as a top-up in fourth-year. I had already taken Steps 1/2CK/2CS. Book was a breath of fresh air and gave broader depth. Very fulfilling and solid read. Did a deep read, highlighted, and went back and reviewed after the cover-to-cover pass. Would recommend it if you're late in med school.

UWorld for Steps 1 and 2CK should be done as a med student as your gold standards before other things, even if you have no intention of sitting the Steps. If you do your study at home I would just go through these instead of Step Up to Med. Bear in mind a ~2200ish-Q QBank is about 1500+ pages of text if you read all of the explanations. If you insist on a book though, I would suggest Step Up over JH if you haven't sat the USMLEs. As I said, JH is advanced (it's for residents!).

I personally hated the MKSAP 11-book series. I wasted like $450 on it. Some people love them. But they were like novels. Just superfluous, never-ending text. End-of-book questions were good but not justification for the cost of the series. Level of content was beyond med school level for the most part. I started on these after I had already finished JH IM Board Review.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally hated the MKSAP 11-book series. I wasted like $450 on it. Some people love them. But they were like novels. Just superfluous, never-ending text. End-of-book questions were good but not justification for the cost of the series. Level of content was beyond med school level for the most part. I started on these after I had already finished JH IM Board Review.
I think OP meant a different MKSAP. There is - or, rather, used to be* - MKSAP for students that had a very condensed review and questions components. It was good for 3d year medicine.
* - @Chelewn you're right, IM Essentials is the same (i.e. the new version) of MKSAP.
I would prioritize UWORLD for Step 2 medicine questions and Step Up to Medicine, but if you have time you can follow up with IM Essentials.

For shelf I thought the MKSAP question book alone would do, but don't just do what I did. Just saying
+1 it's a good resource