internal medicine vs. oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've been offered a position at one of the regional specialty centers in my area - in either their oncology or internal medicine departments

i'm having a hard time choosing, mainly because i don't know how to compare the two since i've never worked in either environment before.

if you were in my position, which department would you choose and why? in your experience, which department seems like the better choice?

i know it varies from hospital to hospital, but i just wanted to know everyone's opinions in general...

just as background info, i do want to specialize later, although most likely in some sort of surgery or emergency/critical care.

thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd opt for internal medicine. You'll be more likely to see a wider variety of cases including the patients who will then be referred onto oncology.

So basically you'd get the best of both worlds... and Internal med will probably give you a better grasp/idea of what's going on when you are in vet school.

I'd opt for internal medicine. You'll be more likely to see a wider variety of cases including the patients who will then be referred onto oncology.

So basically you'd get the best of both worlds... and Internal med will probably give you a better grasp/idea of what's going on when you are in vet school.

Great advice, Nexx! :thumbup: