Internal Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ArsenalEPL4Life

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about the residency match lists that I have been looking at for several schools. Why arent there any cardiology, nephrology, and gasterestonology placements? Is it because first you have to complete an Internal Medicine residency and then have to move to completeing a fellowship in those specific fields? I know of several GI's who are DO's, so I know it is possible for DO's to become GI's, just confused on how the whole residency match list works for these fields of medicine.
 
Yes. You do IM first, then subspecialty. Subspecialty matches can be not to difficult to extremely competitive, and that's why it matters where you match. So you want to look for where people matched in addition to what they matched in.
 
They apply in their 3rd year of residency so the school is often never even told where that graduated ended up.