International applicants

Started by ceng2doc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ceng2doc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I don't remember the thread, but the other day I was reading someone's message to SDN telling that "applicants having international BS/BA have no chance to get admitted to MD/DO schools even though they get good MCAT scores".

I know we all can comment / talk about it, but I'd like to read from anyone having an international BA/BS/MS, etc. who also completed the pre-reqs (bio, phys, chem, orgo, and maybe some Eng.comp., and humanities, etc. on top of it) but couldn't make it to a medical school?

Anyone having such a friend/relative could also write about that experience.

PS: My personal understanding, though, is that since the medical schools already requires someone be a US citizen (or, green-card holder), then if the above story happens to a US person, it's a discrimination against him/her, which is not admissible.

What I know from most of the medical school's websites and adcom's I've already talked to is that an international degree holder gotta have at least a US degree (say a BA/BS/MS/PhD, etc.), and take the pre-reqs in the States if s/he doesn't already have them in her/his transcript. I'm assuming that s/he has a good MCAT score and GPA (i.e., the >=3.5/30 rule).