International Clinical Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickales8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done any of their clinical work internationally while in a DPT program? I expect to live out of the country after school and I'd love to get some experience working internationally...

Thanks for your replies!

Mick

Members don't see this ad.

I was really interested in going to Australia for my ortho internship. However, when I talked to our coordinator a little more about it, I found out that international internships are mostly hands-off. There is some issue with student malpractice insurance. I've heard it's still a good experience, but I personally decided against it after finding that out.

However, our program does offer international service trips which I am definitely planning to be a part of.

Yes, students at my school have done clinical rotations in Japan, Austria, Australia, and the Netherlands. It all depends on your PT school and the connections they have internationally.

Regis University offered a few opportunities to do clinical rotations outside of the country. Each rotation was 2 weeks to a month, but better than nothing. I went to Nicaragua for a month with three other classmates and two PTs. Awesome experience! You won't see half of things here in the States as you see in a developing country. Definitely an eye-opening, perspective changing, opportunity. Best of luck.