International Degree Holder to US Medical School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnmdsoon

Reaction score
Good morning!
I am currently a RN working in California. I grew up here, but I got my BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) abroad. Although the Board of Registered Nursing already considers my degree as equivalent to a BSN here, I know schools don't usually see it that way.

I took the MCAT previously and I didn't do well on it, so I know I would have to go back to school. I would just like to know what my options would be? Should I take Master's here or can career changers post-bacc programs be good enough? For the programs, I'm currently looking into UCLA Extension's Pre-Medical program, specifically the fundamental subjects' track. There's also CSULA's program that I think is more focused. My other problem is I would still be working while studying, either per diem (12h/week) or part time hours (24h/week).

If you have any insight or advice, please do let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

MOST U.S. medical school require a U.S./Canadian Bachelors degree. The schools that don't require a Bachelors ask for a year of study at a U.S. institution, or 90 credits at a U.S. institution.

- It may be easier for you do a Bachelors here so you're able to apply to more schools.

- Your best best is to check the schools that you're interested in and see what their application requirements are, and make sure you're able to meet their requirements.

I have a foreign Bachelors degree and did not want to do another Bachelors here. However, I've done significant coursework here including a masters, and a DIY postbac. I'm also enrolled in a doctoral study.

Pretty much every program of study here: nursing, PA, public health, teaching etc. will accept a foreign Bachelors as long as it is equivalent to a U.S. Bachelors, but medical school is not that way.
The 90 credit bit is not entirely correct. For some schools yes, for others just the pre-reqs work. I imagine of course though that adcoms prefer North American undergrads but it is still doable with a foreign degree. And a lot of them are okay with a foreign undergrad.

Check out this thread for more info:

Reactions: 1 user
Good morning!
I am currently a RN working in California. I grew up here, but I got my BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) abroad. Although the Board of Registered Nursing already considers my degree as equivalent to a BSN here, I know schools don't usually see it that way.

I took the MCAT previously and I didn't do well on it, so I know I would have to go back to school. I would just like to know what my options would be? Should I take Master's here or can career changers post-bacc programs be good enough? For the programs, I'm currently looking into UCLA Extension's Pre-Medical program, specifically the fundamental subjects' track. There's also CSULA's program that I think is more focused. My other problem is I would still be working while studying, either per diem (12h/week) or part time hours (24h/week).

If you have any insight or advice, please do let me know!
i think your best bet is to spend some time doing some research inyo the requirements that various programs have. Get a subscription to the AAMC’s MSAR to have access to better data. After that I would start with taking the basic prerequisite courses if they are required by schools you are interested in. UCLA extension should be fine, just pick a program that is inexpensive and has other folks trying to do the same thing as you ie change careers into medical dental or veterinary school. Personally I would avoid a masters degree if possible as graduate GPAs are tough to compare given grade inflation, etc. taking classes while working is fine, I did 8-12 credits a semester while working full time - it takes longer but it does work. The key is to make sure you preserve your GPA. Since the AAMC does not calculate gpa for foreign coursework, your postbac gpa will be the only one that is listed in your application. This can either be extremely helpful or a bit of a nuisance. When you say your previous MCAT did not go well, when did you take it and how did you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think your best bet is to spend some time doing some research inyo the requirements that various programs have. Get a subscription to the AAMC’s MSAR to have access to better data. After that I would start with taking the basic prerequisite courses if they are required by schools you are interested in. UCLA extension should be fine, just pick a program that is inexpensive and has other folks trying to do the same thing as you ie change careers into medical dental or veterinary school. Personally I would avoid a masters degree if possible as graduate GPAs are tough to compare given grade inflation, etc. taking classes while working is fine, I did 8-12 credits a semester while working full time - it takes longer but it does work. The key is to make sure you preserve your GPA. Since the AAMC does not calculate gpa for foreign coursework, your postbac gpa will be the only one that is listed in your application. This can either be extremely helpful or a bit of a nuisance. When you say your previous MCAT did not go well, when did you take it and how did you do?
Regarding your comment about doing a masters, does doing a masters in the US as a foreign bachelors degree holder not help with getting into medical school in the US? I ask because I'm trying to decide between doing a post-bacc or a masters (i study abroad) and I would like to increase my chances of getting accepted.

Regarding your comment about doing a masters, does doing a masters in the US as a foreign bachelors degree holder not help with getting into medical school in the US? I ask because I'm trying to decide between doing a post-bacc or a masters (i study abroad) and I would like to increase my chances of getting accepted.
US Med Schools do not use masters GPA for application. All they need is undergraduate GPA. Would a good performance in your masters degree sway admissions committee in your favor because of your academic ability? Oh yes! But it won’t cover a lackluster undergrad GPA/MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Advising for folks with foreign bachelor's degrees is outside my expertise. I would recommend looking into the requirements for specific programs as they can vary significantly. A separate post in the non-traditional forum may also yield better responses. Best of luck to you!