International Dentist Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basha00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Should a student be a DDS holder from a foreign school of dentistry to be able to apply to an IDP in the states?

I am a 3rd-year dental student (5-year dental program) .. can I apply for the IDP and continue my education there?

Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Should a student be a DDS holder from a foreign school of dentistry to be able to apply to an IDP in the states?

I am a 3rd-year dental student (5-year dental program) .. can I apply for the IDP and continue my education there?

Many thanks in advance!

You can't apply to the advanced dental program unless you have your bachelor/dental diploma from your country.

The only thing you can do meanwhile is to take your NBDE part I if you have not taken that yet. You need a confirmation letter from your dean though.

You can't apply to the advanced dental program unless you have your bachelor/dental diploma from your country.

The only thing you can do meanwhile is to take your NBDE part I if you have not taken that yet. You need a confirmation letter from your dean though.

Anoogy, thank!, well, this is what I am currently doing, but my question is; should every foreign student attend a 2-year IDP for the advanced dental program after his NBDEs and graduation? I mean is it a requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is a requirement. You cannot get into the IDP program without a dental degree and NBDE part 1. Some schools also need part 2 but majority are fine with part 1. You have to understand the BDS or any other equivalent dental degree with a NBDE part 1 is the requisite and not a choice to get into the program.

Yes, it is a requirement. You cannot get into the IDP program without a dental degree and NBDE part 1. Some schools also need part 2 but majority are fine with part 1. You have to understand the BDS or any other equivalent dental degree with a NBDE part 1 is the requisite and not a choice to get into the program.

DeepikaPoppaw, I understand that graduation and NBDE 1 are a requirement but what I meant; is the IDP mandatory for the postgrad program for foreign students? (like if you a graduate of a foreign dental school and passed the NBDE, can you apply to the match or you should attend an IDP first?) ..
The IDP really confused me, as 2 more years added to my educational life..!

Basha,

There are some programs wherein you can apply instead of IDP. The schools are Texas and Washington as far as I know. However, you have to complete part 2 too and enroll into a clinic speciality. What the program entails and licenses you for is in the speciality you chose, like endo or perio. Now, you would be licensed only in that state and you will need to check with their State dental about any other requirements. I hope this helps. My advise for you would be to get a DDS or DMD (they are the same) degree as this has a broader scope and is accepted by all 50states. It does not curtail you to a few states. Some might disagree with me, but if you plan to stay in the United States for a long time, that would be my best option!

Basha,

There are some programs wherein you can apply instead of IDP. The schools are Texas and Washington as far as I know. However, you have to complete part 2 too and enroll into a clinic speciality. What the program entails and licenses you for is in the speciality you chose, like endo or perio. Now, you would be licensed only in that state and you will need to check with their State dental about any other requirements. I hope this helps. My advise for you would be to get a DDS or DMD (they are the same) degree as this has a broader scope and is accepted by all 50states. It does not curtail you to a few states. Some might disagree with me, but if you plan to stay in the United States for a long time, that would be my best option!

DepeekiaPoppaw,

thank you for the info, do you mean to enroll in a dental school and a get a 4-year DDS from a US dental school?
As I am staying in Syria and the situation here is getting difficult to cope with until I graduate in 2015, that's why the International Dentist Program confused me, which are 2 more years of education before getting to the postgraduate program plus the NBDE part 1 and 2 (total of 6 more years).. thanks for your help, most appreciated!

Well you have to complete your dental degree from your home country. If you cannot complete it there you might need to enroll into a program here. I would advise you to email the universities and check on it.

DepeekiaPoppaw,

thank you for the info, do you mean to enroll in a dental school and a get a 4-year DDS from a US dental school?
As I am staying in Syria and the situation here is getting difficult to cope with until I graduate in 2015, that's why the International Dentist Program confused me, which are 2 more years of education before getting to the postgraduate program plus the NBDE part 1 and 2 (total of 6 more years).. thanks for your help, most appreciated!

There are couple of ways to be a dentist in the United States.

The 1st one might seems good for you if you have trouble completing your dental degree from Syria due to the war. It requires you to evaluate whatever credits you have taken so far (not including your dental-related credits) like Organic and General Chemistry and get into an accredited school, complete your bachelor degree then take a test called Dental admission test and finally apply for a 4-year dental school through AADSAS.

The second one is the pathway most of the international dentists who seek license do when the come to the United States. You can apply for a 2 or 3 year dental program Through CAAPID. To get accepted you need to pass NBDE part one (which you can take before finishing your dental diploma from your home country), TOEFL with a score not less than a 100 and NBDE II (required only by few colleges).

The third one which I'm not sure if my information is updated or no, will also requires you to take NBDE I, TOEFL and GRE then apply for the residency program though PASS. I don't really recommends this one. cause I know that only 5 states in United States will let you work without A DDS/DMD degree. you might end up with huge loan and no where to practice.

I hope that gave you a general idea.

Reactions: 1 user

The 1st one might seems good for you if you have trouble completing your dental degree from Syria due to the war. It requires you to evaluate whatever credits you have taken so far (not including your dental-related credits) like Organic and General Chemistry and get into an accredited school, complete your bachelor degree then take a test called Dental admission test and finally apply for a 4-year dental school through AADSAS.

The second one is the pathway most of the international dentists who seek license do when the come to the United States. You can apply for a 2 or 3 year dental program Through CAAPID. To get accepted you need to pass NBDE part one (which you can take before finishing your dental diploma from your home country), TOEFL with a score not less than a 100 and NBDE II (required only by few colleges).

The third one which I'm not sure if my information is updated or no, will also requires you to take NBDE I, TOEFL and GRE then apply for the residency program though PASS. I don't really recommends this one. cause I know that only 5 states in United States will let you work without A DDS/DMD degree. you might end up with huge loan and no where to practice.

Anoogy,
Can you please tell me the 5 states that accept PASS?

Anoogy,

Anooogy! Can't find the way to thank you for your precise answers as usual! :)

Is the CAAPID program different from the IDP (International Dentist Program) and it should be done after graduation, right?

For myself I guess the second option would seem the least costly time and money talking..

Forgot to ask, it seems like the advanced standing programs cost between 40K - 70K bucks .. I am a greencard holder, do you have any idea whether the cost is the same for visa holder and permanent residents? :) thanks again and sorry for too much asking!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the cost is the same. The only difference is the ease to get the loan. As a PR you do not need a co-signer and you are eligible for federal loans.

As a foreign student, is it better for the admission and match to do the IDP (Advanced standing program) before of after the postdoctoral education?

its always safe to do DDS/DMD( ADVANCED STANDING PROGRAM/ IDP). u can do MPH/MS IN BIOMATERIALS, ORAL BIOLOGY TO increase your chances to get in the program and then later do a residency program( masters in clinical like prost, pediatric dent, perio...) of your choice

Anoogy,

According to this link:

http://www.nerb.org/b/exam_descriptions_b.html

They are:

1-New York
2-Ohio
3-Michigan
4-Maryland
5-Illinos

Read this part :

Dentists with Degrees from International Dental Schools

Only dentists with DDS or DMD degrees from U.S. or Canadian Dental Schools may take the ADEX Dental regional examinations accepted in more than 40 states. However, several states in the northeastern region of the United States of America (including Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, New York and Ohio) do have mechanisms to license dentists with dental degrees from international dental schools. To determine your eligibility for licensure in a specific licensing jurisdiction, you should directly contact the dental board for that licensing jurisdiction. (The phone numbers and addresses of each NERB Participating Jurisdictions' dental board and are listed elsewhere on this website.)

I can add Massachusetts too, but you have to find a general dentist to supervise you for a certain period of time. I don't think they need residency though.

Florarose! :) And the postdoctoral students are offered salaries.. right? if so, what is the average?
or do they also have to pay for their postdoctoral education?
Thanks!

Anooogy! Can't find the way to thank you for your precise answers as usual! :)

Is the CAAPID program different from the IDP (International Dentist Program) and it should be done after graduation, right?

For myself I guess the second option would seem the least costly time and money talking..

CAAPID is a centralized system that connects international dentists to the advanced dental programs in all the states.

Let's say you want to apply to University of California in Los Angeles, The only way to do so is to pay online fees on CAAPID and send CAAPID your ECE while the rest of your application requirements to the University of California itself.

According to this link:

http://www.nerb.org/b/exam_descriptions_b.html

They are:

1-New York
2-Ohio
3-Michigan
4-Maryland
5-Illinos

Read this part :

Dentists with Degrees from International Dental Schools

Only dentists with DDS or DMD degrees from U.S. or Canadian Dental Schools may take the ADEX Dental regional examinations accepted in more than 40 states. However, several states in the northeastern region of the United States of America (including Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, New York and Ohio) do have mechanisms to license dentists with dental degrees from international dental schools. To determine your eligibility for licensure in a specific licensing jurisdiction, you should directly contact the dental board for that licensing jurisdiction. (The phone numbers and addresses of each NERB Participating Jurisdictions' dental board and are listed elsewhere on this website.)

I can add Massachusetts too, but you have to find a general dentist to supervise you for a certain period of time. I don't think they need residency though.

Thank You :)

I am a last year dental student in Europe. I'm planning on taking NBDE 1 this June after I graduate. However, I want to apply now so I could make my travel arrangements. As for now, I'm getting my certification of eligibility tomorrow. That's as far as I could go, because the website asks me to pay before I could even check out the prometric test center locations. Can anybody guide me thru this application for the test?

I am a last year dental student in Europe. I'm planning on taking NBDE 1 this June after I graduate. However, I want to apply now so I could make my travel arrangements. As for now, I'm getting my certification of eligibility tomorrow. That's as far as I could go, because the website asks me to pay before I could even check out the prometric test center locations. Can anybody guide me thru this application for the test?

The new Application cycle starts on April 15th !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

The new Application cycle starts on April 15th !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

No, she's talking about how to schedule her NBDE I test.
NBDE can be taken almost all year round.

Last edited:

You will need to send ECE.org all of your dental credentials and diploma by fax or mail, make sure to request a course by course report as many colleges ask specifically for this one. Also, add ADA's address as your destinatio, so ECE could send them your report.

The next step is to get a Dentpin, and this can be requested here https://www.ada.org/1225.aspx. You can't start your NBDE part one application without a Dentpin.

Once ADA approves your application, a confirmation email will be send to you with an eligibility number, With this number you can schedule your test in Prometric centers.

One last thing, you have to take your test within a period of six months from that confirmation email, otherwise you will lose your fees and you will not be able to refund it back.

Last edited:
need some help on the following questions regarding advance standing dds program....

1. in what time will i be getting the nbde part 1 results inside US? i heard u get it within 10 days... is it true?

2. Is it necessary to give part 2 as it does give preference to others without it even in schools that do not ask for it? is it possible to get admission on the basis of part 1 onnly?

3. i emailed several private dental clinics in houston for observership n they agreed to it, but they sed they wont give any credit in written form. What other options do i have to make my dds application stronger by earning experience in houston.?

Thanks

need some help on the following questions regarding advance standing dds program....

1. in what time will i be getting the nbde part 1 results inside US? i heard u get it within 10 days... is it true?

2. Is it necessary to give part 2 as it does give preference to others without it even in schools that do not ask for it? is it possible to get admission on the basis of part 1 onnly?

3. i emailed several private dental clinics in houston for observership n they agreed to it, but they sed they wont give any credit in written form. What other options do i have to make my dds application stronger by earning experience in houston.?

Thanks

Nbde part 1 reports generally reach you in 2 -3 weeks. It might reach earlier in some cases. But in general they require you to wait for 2 weeks after your testing appointment.
Nbde part 2 is not a requirement but definitely they give preference to students who took it. Actually I'd say its not just part 2 but your entire application that matters. Exam scores aren't everything. I have heard if students getting in just with part1. Like I said the overall application matters.
About your observership I guess If the dentist can give you a recommendation letter you would be fine.
Hope that helps

Nbde part 1 reports generally reach you in 2 -3 weeks. It might reach earlier in some cases. But in general they require you to wait for 2 weeks after your testing appointment.
Nbde part 2 is not a requirement but definitely they give preference to students who took it. Actually I'd say its not just part 2 but your entire application that matters. Exam scores aren't everything. I have heard if students getting in just with part1. Like I said the overall application matters.
About your observership I guess If the dentist can give you a recommendation letter you would be fine.
Hope that helps

oh ok thanks that really helped..one more thing i wud like to clear...i heard that during the selection process, applications of those who have given part 1 n 2 both nd applications of those who hae just given part 1 are separated and more priority is given to the former one...more like a filtering process...is it true?

oh ok thanks that really helped..one more thing i wud like to clear...i heard that during the selection process, applications of those who have given part 1 n 2 both nd applications of those who hae just given part 1 are separated and more priority is given to the former one...more like a filtering process...is it true?

Nope that's not true. Like I said they give preference to the ones of cleared part 2 but then if you have just part 1 and an awesome application otherwise you'd be good. See the overall application matters. They don't separate any applications. The thing is that I know people who give part 2 as well but end up no where. That's coz the entire application is seen.
Btw are you from Houston ???

ok thanks..yup i m from houston? why?

can i update my caapid application with my nbde part 2 pass/fail and toelf scores once i have submitted the application?

secondly where can i get the list of universities which provide the advance standingn dds program but aren't associated with caapid

thanks

Hi, I am extremely stressed regarding my admission in Advanced standing program, I have cleared NBDE part 1, TOEFL ibt 92 and GPA is 3.88. Will give NBDE part 2 in may. Have LORs and clinical experience of 2 years back home. What are the chances for me of getting admission in UPENN, UB or UIC?...If anyone can guide. thanks