MA/MS International Masters Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SofloPsy

Reaction score
I have a B.S in Psychology and have been thinking about pursuing a masters program outside the US possibly in the EU (Spain, Netherlands, Italy). Would I be able to eventually become licensed in the US as an LMHC and practice counseling? Would any extra education be required? Currently living in FL, by the way. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would widely depend on what state you intend to practice in and what the licensing requirements were for that state. It's pretty variable for LPCs/LMHCs. Many states adopt CACREP accrediting standards and, starting next year, the NBCC will only allow graduates from CACREP programs to sit for the National Counseling Exam. So whatever state you intend to practice in will need an alternate exam in place for graduates of non-CACREP accredited programs and you will need to be sure that you meet the non-CACREP educational requirements for that state (60 semester units, coursework in specific content areas, etc.).

Moral of the story: It's a very difficult road and I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users