International MD/PhD applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an international applicant, will I have to pay tuition for the entire time I am in the program? UCDavis told me that I am looking at ~8 years of tuition payments that will be around $500,000 USD. Um...how common is it to switch to a straight MD program while in medical schools? I can not see how anyone can afford this amount.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools have full funding for int applicants. I think they have to use other funding than MSTP though. There is a list somewhere of schools that will offered funded slots to int applicants.

Most of the top-tier private schools have funding available (but limited spots) for international students. State schools, as a rule, do not. None of the UC schools will fund international students. Intransit has a list of schools that have accepted international students in the past (http://www.intransit.us/international/) -- and most schools that accept international students do fund them, as far as I know. The PhD portion of the program should definitely be funded as most schools will accept and fund international students for straight up PhD programs, so I'm not sure why UCDavis said what they did... that might be a UC or state school thing, maybe?

good luck!