International Medical Graduate With MD Pathology Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravisingh007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an International medical graduate with an MD Pathology degree from India. I plan to complete all the 3 steps of USMLE. I have a few questions if you could kindly answer them

1- After completing all the three steps how long would it take for me to get a fellowship in the United States without doing my board Residency

2- Will I be eligible to work in the United States or I would have to do my residency in Pathology

3- Will a Fellowship from United States be recognised for jobs in other first world countries of Europe, Australia , UK etc or I would have to do my residency in the United States then only I would be recognised for job

4- What is the status of FRCP Path in the United States

5- And as there is no age limit for USMLE if i apply for Fellowship or residency at the age of 45 years also will I be considered.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can get a pathology job or fellowship without completing a US pathology residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
1- After completing all the three steps how long would it take for me to get a fellowship in the United States without doing my board Residency
2- Will I be eligible to work in the United States or I would have to do my residency in Pathology
3- Will a Fellowship from United States be recognised for jobs in other first world countries of Europe, Australia , UK etc or I would have to do my residency in the United States then only I would be recognised for job
4- What is the status of FRCP Path in the United States
5- And as there is no age limit for USMLE if i apply for Fellowship or residency at the age of 45 years also will I be considered.

1. Within one year if you are good in terms of connection, publication, experience of practice in your home country (at least complete residency).
2. If you want to practice medicine, you will have to complete residency training in order to get board eligible.
3. No
4. Don't understand the question.
5. You will likely need to have high step 1, 2 scores (>240) + US clinical experience + LOR from US pathologists + practice pathology in home country + some publications in peer reviewed journal

can you also tell me difference between Molecular Genetic Pathology and molecular pathology fellowship difference and what is the average salary of a pathologist .Does a laboratory medicine fellowship get a good job