International Medical Student

Gozzila83

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Greece
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone. I am doing my MD degree in Greece at the moment and i'm thinking of taking a cardiology residency in the US. Can anyone describe to me what i must do to become a cardiologist in the US; Thanks a lot.

ukimg

10+ Year Member
    Feb 5, 2008
      I want to know about this too.

I understand that IMG has to do USMLE step 1,2k,2s then apply for the program but other than that I'm not too sure about.

Can someone explain this to us

Thx.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
      Staff member
      Volunteer Staff
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 11, 2006
      1. Attending Physician
        In order to be a cardiologist in the US, you would first need to complete a 3 year Internal Medicine (IM) residency. During your second year of that residency, you would then apply for a 3 year Cardiology fellowship.

In order to be competitive for a US residency as an IMG, you will need to:

1. Complete USMLE Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS. Doing well on these exams is a very high priority.

2. Obtain some US clinical experience. The best way to do this is to arrange for an away rotation in the US while still a medical student in your home country. Once you graduate, it is very difficult to get any clinical experience in the US.

3. Apply broadly to programs in the US. This is quite expensive, once you consider travel costs etc.

Cardiology is one of the hot fields in the US now. IMG's have difficulty getting spots. You will need excellent USMLE's, and much will depend on the residency you obtain. There is some chance that you could get an IM spot, and never get a Cardiology spot.

Good luck!

ukimg

10+ Year Member
        Feb 5, 2008
          I'm a UK IMG but I don't think it is possible for me to get US clinical experience as I am well on my way to my final year already. Do you think this will significantly reduce my chances? and would you say that an IMG from certain country will have a better chance than some other countries?

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.