International Medical Student

Started by Gozzila83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gozzila83

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am doing my MD degree in Greece at the moment and i'm thinking of taking a cardiology residency in the US. Can anyone describe to me what i must do to become a cardiologist in the US; Thanks a lot.
 
I want to know about this too.

I understand that IMG has to do USMLE step 1,2k,2s then apply for the program but other than that I'm not too sure about.

Can someone explain this to us

Thx.
 
In order to be a cardiologist in the US, you would first need to complete a 3 year Internal Medicine (IM) residency. During your second year of that residency, you would then apply for a 3 year Cardiology fellowship.

In order to be competitive for a US residency as an IMG, you will need to:

1. Complete USMLE Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS. Doing well on these exams is a very high priority.

2. Obtain some US clinical experience. The best way to do this is to arrange for an away rotation in the US while still a medical student in your home country. Once you graduate, it is very difficult to get any clinical experience in the US.

3. Apply broadly to programs in the US. This is quite expensive, once you consider travel costs etc.

Cardiology is one of the hot fields in the US now. IMG's have difficulty getting spots. You will need excellent USMLE's, and much will depend on the residency you obtain. There is some chance that you could get an IM spot, and never get a Cardiology spot.

Good luck!
 
I'm a UK IMG but I don't think it is possible for me to get US clinical experience as I am well on my way to my final year already. Do you think this will significantly reduce my chances? and would you say that an IMG from certain country will have a better chance than some other countries?